Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Refurbished Kindles $109.99

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Refurbished Kindles $109.99

Post by Misfit » Mon July 12th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Spotted this over at Dear Author.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue July 13th, 2010, 12:00 am

Thats not bad. However, I dunno if its worth it for me to buy it still. I would love the gadget but the ebooks are still expensive, in my opinion.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 13th, 2010, 12:16 am

[quote=""Divia""]Thats not bad. However, I dunno if its worth it for me to buy it still. I would love the gadget but the ebooks are still expensive, in my opinion.[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, and as long as the library is there I'm holding fast :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Tue July 13th, 2010, 12:41 am

[quote=""Divia""]Thats not bad. However, I dunno if its worth it for me to buy it still. I would love the gadget but the ebooks are still expensive, in my opinion.[/quote]

They ARE expensive, Divia, but there area lot that are available for free--mostly classics and such, but still you do find some good reads among them. My favorite feature of the Kindle, though, is the 'free sample', which lets you download the first 20 pages for free. Much better than the 'look inside' feature on the regular Amazon pages, and I use it to decide whether I want to buy the book or request it at the library or whatever. My Kindle was a gift from my mom and dad, and I definitely would never have bought it for myself but I have used it tons--and yet I'm sure have not spent above $100 on books for it.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue July 13th, 2010, 1:06 am

Please let me know when it gets down to $10.99. :D

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue July 13th, 2010, 2:45 am

I just got a Kindle last week. Most of the time the Kindle books seem to be cheaper than either hardcover or paperback. I'm reading "The Confessions of Catherine de Medici" and I got it for $9.99. The hardcover is selling for $16.50. I got the Kindle mainly to save shelf space.
Last edited by Susan on Tue July 13th, 2010, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue July 13th, 2010, 5:22 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Please let me know when it gets down to $10.99. :D [/quote]

I can't see that ever happening, nice thought though!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue July 13th, 2010, 10:30 am

I'm finding that most eBooks are usually $1 or so cheaper than their paperback counterpart, and sometimes you find sales with them marked down even more. As Anna points out there are a lot of classics out there for free. I wish more libraries offered ebooks for online checkouts. I'd actually use my library if they did. I think that day is coming, though.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue July 13th, 2010, 10:41 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""] I wish more libraries offered ebooks for online checkouts. I'd actually use my library if they did. I think that day is coming, though.[/quote]

The day is coming, but right now the technology is still too new and too expensive for many patrons. Why buy a 100 e reader when you can go to th elib and pick up a book for free. When they become cheaper you'll see some e books I'm sure.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 13th, 2010, 11:22 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I'm finding that most eBooks are usually $1 or so cheaper than their paperback counterpart, and sometimes you find sales with them marked down even more. As Anna points out there are a lot of classics out there for free. I wish more libraries offered ebooks for online checkouts. I'd actually use my library if they did. I think that day is coming, though.[/quote]

they're just starting to do that here, a good idea in principle, but I hope it won't lead to more library closures (the phrase shooting themselves in the foot springs to mind).
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”