Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed October 1st, 2008, 9:34 pm

I don't know but DduM is/was a brilliant story teller. I love her books. Rebecca is a classic.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 1st, 2008, 9:39 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I don't know but DduM is/was a brilliant story teller. I love her books. Rebecca is a classic.[/quote]

Looking forward to it. What books of her's I've read it was as a young girl many many years ago.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed October 1st, 2008, 9:57 pm

It's a bit of a problem isn't it. I just got notification that I have five books to pick up at the library myself!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 3:02 am

I'm excited! I've just ordered EC's "The Time of Singing" from my favorite online bookstore, Book Depository. I was surprised to find it there- didn't think it was due out for a couple of days yet.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 11:28 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Gee, what great timing. I've been on a hold at the lib for months for Daphne du Maurier's Frenchman's Creek, Jamaica Inn, Rebecca and My Cousing Rachel (all in one 800 page book) and now it's coming in for pick up right before Devil's Brood and Time of Singing are due. What's a girl to do? :o :p :) [/quote]

Those DduM books are all excellent, enjoy! :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 1:38 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Those DduM books are all excellent, enjoy! :D [/quote]

I am so looking forward to these, but now I'm in a serious book binge pickle. On top of that, Time of Singing just landed and so did an ILL, The King's Touch by Jude Morgon (I think that's the author's name). ILL's can't be renewed and considering it came all the way from Anchorage I'd feel awfully guilty returning it unread :o

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 7:50 pm

The King's Touch by Jude Morgon (I think that's the author's name). ILL's can't be renewed and considering it came all the way from Anchorage I'd feel awfully guilty returning it unread

I just got this one myself. I hear it's very good, so you might want to read it before returning it. (Of course, I have an ulterior motive for suggesting this. I want to read your review!) :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 8:00 pm

[quote=""JaneConsumer""]The King's Touch by Jude Morgon (I think that's the author's name). ILL's can't be renewed and considering it came all the way from Anchorage I'd feel awfully guilty returning it unread

I just got this one myself. I hear it's very good, so you might want to read it before returning it. (Of course, I have an ulterior motive for suggesting this. I want to read your review!) :) [/quote]

I intend to read it, the reviews on Amazon sound promising including one from our own Boswellbaxter :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 8:32 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I intend to read it, the reviews on Amazon sound promising including one from our own Boswellbaxter :) [/quote]

I really did enjoy The King's Touch. It's one of the best written historical novels I've read in years, without that self-conscious "Ma, I'm writing literary fiction!" air about it.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Your Amazon.com order has shipped

Post by Misfit » Sun October 5th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Devil's Brood
The Last Queen: A Novel

Delivery estimate October 8. Woohoo!!!

Return to “Archives”