Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ann Turnbull

annis
Bibliomaniac

Ann Turnbull

Post by annis » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 9:02 pm

I've recently discovered this author, and thoroughly enjoyed her novels for older teenagers, set in seventeenth century England. Alice in Love and War is set during the Civil War period and follows a young girl who runs away from her unhappy home to join her Royalist soldier lover on the campaign trail, and No Shame, No Fear and its sequel Forged in Fire deal with the relationship between a young Quaker couple - the difficulties and loyal companionship of the Friends as they suffer persecution during the Restoration period.

Turnbull writes with sensitivity, not shirking the harshness of conditions for her characters, but emphasizing the humanity and kindness to be found even in the most desperate situations. Recommended.

http://www.annturnbull.com/olderfiction.htm

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun July 4th, 2010, 9:18 am

You might also enjoy Mary Hooper's novels. They are also for teens but, as in many cases, they stand up much better than some of those for adults.

Newes from the Dead is an exceptionally good book. Although, the setting may sound somewhat gruesome, it is based on a real event.

She has written other novels based in both Tudor and Stuart times and they are well worth the read.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun July 4th, 2010, 6:09 pm

I have read Newes From the Dead and agree that it is very good, but haven't come across any others written by Mary Hooper - must see if the library holds any. Thanks for the reminder.

One thing I particularly enjoyed about Ann Turnbull's novels was her feel for the time and place. The motivations and actions of her characters are always period-appropriate. Her female protagonists don't behave or think in jarringly modern ways as do so many in recent teenage HF.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun July 4th, 2010, 6:33 pm

At the Sign of the Sugared Plum - is set during the Restoration (the great plague)
Petals in Ashes (the great fire)
At the House of the Magician (Tudor / John Dee)

are just a couple. There are more but I can't remember them off the top my head.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Mon July 5th, 2010, 2:56 am

I love both Mary Hooper's and Ann Turnbull's books. Mary Hooper has a new one out just recently in the UK, Fallen Grace, set in the Victorian era. I don't think the US edition will be out until next year. Ann Turnbull is also working on a third book from the Quaker series but I am not sure when it will be published.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon July 5th, 2010, 6:10 am

I see the third Quaker novel will feature Will and Susanna's son, Josiah, just born at the end of Forged in Fire, and moves from England to Pennsylvania - I'll keep an eye out for it

Have just requested the Mary Hooper books about the Plague and the Great Fire of London from the library - they're available in a 2-in-i volume called Fever and Fire.
Last edited by annis on Mon July 5th, 2010, 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”