Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What's in your CD player?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 24th, 2010, 4:08 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]In heavy rotation right now are Swoon by Silversun Pickups, Fantasies by Metric, Light it Up by Rev Theory and Adelitas Way's self-titled album.

Also heard a new cover of Cry Little Sister (some might remember this one from the film, The Lost Boys) which is making me want to download the old versions of it.[/quote]

I love, love, love this song, my favourite from TLB. Someone did a dance mix a couple of years ago which featured the chorus as a sample, it was pretty dreadful. :mad: :eek:
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu June 24th, 2010, 4:47 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I love, love, love this song, my favourite from TLB. Someone did a dance mix a couple of years ago which featured the chorus as a sample, it was pretty dreadful. :mad: :eek: [/quote]

Yeah, I think it has actually been covered by quite a few artists. I'm almost afraid to listen to the Rob Zombie version (actually just did, and it's not bad). The version I heard on sat radio was the Seasons After radio edit. I have buried in a box somewhere one of the earlier covers by Charlie Sexton (on cassette). Now isn't that name a blast from the past!
Last edited by Ludmilla on Thu June 24th, 2010, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu June 24th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Posted by EC
Ah, in that Case a Scottish battle song. Siol Ghoraidh by Runrig
Hey, someone who knows Runrig :) Rampant Scottish nationalism at its peak!

I've got a copy of their DVD Wheel in Motion which I still drag out for an airing every now and then. Fabulous setting at Loch Lomond - great stuff- probably represents the band at their best.

andrewoberg
Scribbler

Post by andrewoberg » Wed June 30th, 2010, 5:52 am

Still playing the Dead--hehe! :D

~05-15-1970~
Teacher and writer living in rural Japan--very adept with chopsticks! Humorous serial shorts and historical fiction graphic novel at: http://drugstorebooks.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

GD

Post by chuck » Wed June 30th, 2010, 4:10 pm

[quote=""andrewoberg""]Still playing the Dead--hehe! :D

~05-15-1970~[/quote]

"God Bless the Grateful Dead"....Never forget seeing Bob Dylan and the Dead in Philly's JFK stadium July 7th 1989...what a party......
Last edited by chuck on Wed June 30th, 2010, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewoberg
Scribbler

Post by andrewoberg » Thu July 1st, 2010, 8:41 am

[quote=""chuck""]"God Bless the Grateful Dead"....Never forget seeing Bob Dylan and the Dead in Philly's JFK stadium July 7th 1989...what a party......[/quote]

Another Deadhead!

Dead.net just released "Crimson, White, and Indigo"--3 CDs and a DVD of that very show, if I'm not mistaken. Have it at home, will have to check...

Btw, just saw Dylan here in Japan this Spring, and was pretty disappointed. :(
Teacher and writer living in rural Japan--very adept with chopsticks! Humorous serial shorts and historical fiction graphic novel at: http://drugstorebooks.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu July 1st, 2010, 4:08 pm

Thanks...will have to check it out.....Concert disappointments...I can relate....saw CSN&Y few years ago..never again...still love them but no more concerts.....BTW Numerous hits and misses with Dylan....Reminds me of my experiences with the unpredictable/great Van Morrison....having tantrums and walking off the stage in the middle of a set.....Rock and Roll.....P.S....Man! do I miss the boys.....

andrewoberg
Scribbler

Post by andrewoberg » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 2:14 am

[quote=""chuck""]P.S....Man! do I miss the boys.....[/quote]

You and me both, brother, though I was born too late and in the wrong place and time to have seen them live... :( To my lasting disappointment...Just grateful I found them on my own!

Here's the link for the "Crimson, White & Indigo" set--with t-shirt!

http://store.dead.net/1980s/philadelphi ... t-shirt-cd

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 3:10 am

Remember being so bummed when Jerry passed.....Took me years to get passed it....Finally playing GD again......Must have seen the Dead at least 15 times.....Timeless...timeless stuff ....Took in a a few Phish concerts....to many wannabees Dead fans....BTW that's a great site....I'm going to start watching their concerts again...Netflix has a decent live Dead (oxymoron) collections.....Just finished reading Jack Kerouac's "On the Road".....Just as great as the first time I read it back in the day....Hey Now.....

andrewoberg
Scribbler

Post by andrewoberg » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am

[quote=""chuck""]Remember being so bummed when Jerry passed.....Took me years to get passed it....Finally playing GD again......Must have seen the Dead at least 15 times.....Timeless...timeless stuff ....Took in a a few Phish concerts....to many wannabees Dead fans....BTW that's a great site....I'm going to start watching their concerts again...Netflix has a decent live Dead (oxymoron) collections.....Just finished reading Jack Kerouac's "On the Road".....Just as great as the first time I read it back in the day....Hey Now.....[/quote]

A kindred spirit! :) Thanks for the tip on Netflix. And if you can get your hands on a copy, check out 1971-05-30 at Winterland--Pig Pen is on fire!

Indeed, the world is much less bright for having lost Jerry, but fortunately he left us with a huge legacy. Long live the tapers, traders, and appreciators!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”