Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sun June 27th, 2010, 8:18 pm

"MLE" wrote:The guy playing Henry VIII (not my guild, this time; they did court last year and it was 108F, and flatly refused to repeat the experience unless the date was moved) was in four layers and FUR

Has anyone considered making lighter weight, summer versions of your costumes? I'm sure you could come up with something that would be more bearable and still authentic. Surely the "real" Henry VIII didn't wear four layers and fur outdoors in the middle of summer?! :eek: Granted, summers in Britain are a far cry from summers in California.......

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun June 27th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Michy, a lot of faires are held during the spring and fall because of the heat. The patrons run around with their skirts hitched up and no chemise (blouse) but that would have been considered shocking. (Even in much warmer spain, noblewomen covered themselves almost completely, as did the men. It was a mark of status.) These costumes cost a fortune in time and money, and most people who play noble can only afford one or two, the fanciest possible. Mine is linen and cotton, as I'm only a servant, but I don't do well in the heat at the best of times.

Being asked to play court is supposed to be a major plum, but my son-in-law, who played Henry twice, declared that before he did it again he'd rather have all his teeth pulled out without anasthesia, so the second choice played opposite the daughter's Katherine of Aragon. You wouldn't believe what went into the new costumes.
Here's a couple pix:
Jeremy as Henry:
Mercina in one of her noble outfits

Joel and Mercina as Henry and Katerine:
and Jay and I, in our usual tired faire state:

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Mon June 28th, 2010, 5:18 pm

About 20 or so years ago, I worked in a fabric store. I remember the "Renaissance people"; they were some of our best customers for the fancy, expensive fabrics and trims!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon June 28th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I was just wondering why those great photos are on 'the worst thing today'! LOL. They're very good.

It's sweltering in England today. Very muggy, too. It was the hottest day of the year yesterday at 29 degrees.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Mon June 28th, 2010, 7:32 pm

What does 29 degrees celsius equate to in Fahrenheit? 'Cause it's 105 degrees today here in CA! Not humid, though. That's what makes it bearable. That and A/C. :p I don't EVEN want to know how hot it is where Ash is!!!!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon June 28th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Husband took the lawnmower in to a shop, having determined that it would cost $20 for a diagnosis of what was wrong with it. Not long ago, we got a call that it's an internal problem, which means they ahve to take the engine apart. That would be included in the diagnosis fee. However, in the event that we elected not to have them fix the ____ thing, we'd have to pay extra to have them put the engine back together. Otherwise, it would come home with a box of parts.

I was not pleased. Had to call and speak with one of the senior mechanics to instruct that the younger one, who had called, was NOT to take it apart, hubby will pick it up tomorrow. I believe my exact words were "tell (name) to keep his hands off my lawnmower."

This after youngest son got up at 1 AM and stayed up! He was cranky as all get out today, and very aggressive. Finally crashed at about 4:30 PM. We'll have to wake him up soon and that will make him mad.

This is not how the day was supposed to go.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Mon June 28th, 2010, 10:30 pm

"Michy" wrote:What does 29 degrees celsius equate to in Fahrenheit? 'Cause it's 105 degrees today here in CA! Not humid, though. That's what makes it bearable. That and A/C. :p I don't EVEN want to know how hot it is where Ash is!!!!

Mid 80s. Definitely not as hot as 105!!!! :eek: Mind you, the heat in the UK is usually a little muggy, not like the dry heat you get elsewhere. So it's not very comfortable. I don't think we'd get 105 in the UK somehow. Mid 80s is hot for us.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Mon June 28th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Humidity does make a huge difference. I know whenever I travel east of the Rockies -- which has a much more humid climate than west of the Rockies, for whatever reason (except for the Pacific NW) -- I find the heat much harder to bear, even though it's usually several degrees cooler than California.

Hey, I just noticed we have two threads going "Worst Thing Today" and "Most Annoying Thing Today" :confused: Is it for different degrees of "badness?"

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon June 28th, 2010, 11:55 pm

"Michy" wrote:Hey, I just noticed we have two threads going "Worst Thing Today" and "Most Annoying Thing Today" :confused: Is it for different degrees of "badness?"

Yes, "Worst" was the first thread that was started but some of the posts were more of things that annoyed people more then being really bad, like being sick or something bad happening. So I started the "Annoying" thread for people to post annoying things that happened.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 10:50 am

Flash Flood Watch until midnight. Supposed to rain all day and into tomorrow. This is not good considering the river hasn't gone back down from the last round of bad storms. We live in a flood plain that hasn't flooded in 30 years. I'm going to get a bunch of things ready in case we have to leave. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Edited to add: They've cancelled the watch. Storms moved through pretty quickly. Standing water in yards and fields around the area, but it seems like that's going to be the extent of it. *sigh of relief*
Last edited by LoveHistory on Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”