Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cheesy Covers Caption Contest Round 3

Bride of Desire

Poll ended at Mon June 14th, 2010, 7:10 pm

"Ooooooohhhhh," she moaned breathlessly, "you're (gasp) smearing (gasp) my eyeshadow!"
No votes
"I'm sorry dear but that's not my hand between your legs."
14%
"Baby please," he whispered, "just a quick nibble...that headband looks sooo tasty."
5%
"Oh," thought she, "Thank goodness for that double-sided tape that I found. Now only if it didn't take off my skin with it."
No votes
They look great darling. But are they pointy???????
No votes
"That's lovely darling," she said, "but did you know there's a viking ship headed straight for your head?"
No votes
That Star Trek dressmaker sure knows how to turn on a Viking.
9%
"You simply must tell me," she said, "how do you get your hair to stay flicked back like that without the aid of a naff headband?"
9%
"Is it the '80s again?" she sighed. "I so miss the '80s!"...
5%
"Baby, where we're from, it's always the '80s. Now, let me trim your brow with my teeth."
5%
"Sweetheart, when you're finished with that dress can I try it on?"
5%
Bodies do talk... when bride and beau win...membership at the Fitness Center after trainers witness their...performance to..."Let's get physical."
No votes
“...I don’t see anything. Are you sure it was your...earring that fell into your cleavage? There...are a lot of birds flying around this beach.”
9%
"Darling, please forgive my stare," he murmured, "but how DO you get your upper leg to bend in that strange way?"
9%
She...stared at his thick muscular arm in sudden alarm, remembering the gypsy fortuneteller's warning about men in heavy metal bands.
23%
Her dress could have been beautiful, if only they'd waited for the deer to ripen.
No votes
Best part of being a Viking: booty.
9%
Counted wrong. Don't vote here.
No votes

Total votes: 22

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Cheesy Covers Caption Contest Round 3

Post by LoveHistory » Thu June 10th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Here's the poll. We had an impressive 18, oops...make that 17 entries this time. Had to shorten some entries due to poll option length restrictions.

You can vote for more than one option, but please try to keep it to your favorite three. Poll will close in 4 days.

Please note that options 9 and 10 go together, so when voting for them please select option 9 ""Is it the '80s again?" she sighed. "I so miss the '80s!"..."

Here's the cover once more for you perusal:

Last edited by LoveHistory on Thu June 10th, 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Thu June 10th, 2010, 10:23 pm

Some great wardrobe-related captions for this one...I'm not missing Long Arrow at all ;)
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu June 10th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Lone Arrow just made my brain's wheels spin. It was much harder to come up with captions (clever or otherwise) for this cover, for some reason......

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri June 11th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Isn't the heavy metal bands one yours, Michy? That one is hilarious!

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri June 11th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Yeah, that one's mine and I almost didn't post it because I thought it was too corny. But I was having such a struggle coming up with anything that I thought, why not?

I actually think the one about her leg being bent strangely is funnier, but that's just me. Because if you look at the picture, you'll see that one of her thighs is curved in a way that is biologically impossible. Maybe it's the art student/lover in me that focuses on things like that.... :rolleyes:

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri June 11th, 2010, 11:28 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Isn't the heavy metal bands one yours, Michy? That one is hilarious![/quote]

Yep, the heavy metal band tickled me too :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat June 12th, 2010, 1:05 am

I liked the heavy metal bands, too - can't resist a pun!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat June 12th, 2010, 1:18 am

[quote=""Michy""]Yeah, that one's mine and I almost didn't post it because I thought it was too corny. But I was having such a struggle coming up with anything that I thought, why not?

I actually think the one about her leg being bent strangely is funnier, but that's just me. Because if you look at the picture, you'll see that one of her thighs is curved in a way that is biologically impossible. Maybe it's the art student/lover in me that focuses on things like that.... :rolleyes: [/quote]

Having read the book I can tell you that she had been injured as a child and had a bad leg, which was shorter than the other one. Don't remember any mention of it being curved, but it's possible.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat June 12th, 2010, 6:25 am

Now THAT is funny! And here I just thought the artist did a poor job. I was even thinking, "why didn't the publishers or anyone catch that and make the artist fix it?" Well now I know -- because it was supposed to be that way!

Now we know how she manages to bend her upper leg in such a strange way! :D

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun June 13th, 2010, 2:49 am

It gets better, if you'd care to know how the injury occurred...

Return to “Chat”