Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue May 18th, 2010, 11:20 am

[quote=""Leo62""]
ETA: More on the Robin Hood discussion. Here's the peerless Dr. K's review of RH (which sums up my feelings about the movie better than I ever could :D )
http://www.youtube.com/kermodeandmayo#p ... jD4IDbDdDE[/quote]

God I love the idea that Robin's accent changes every five minutes to represent his journey across England! Like every town he goes, he gets a new accent. Hilarious.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue May 18th, 2010, 3:06 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]God I love the idea that Robin's accent changes every five minutes to represent his journey across England! Like every town he goes, he gets a new accent. Hilarious.[/quote]

Really? I still need to see it.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue May 18th, 2010, 3:30 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]God I love the idea that Robin's accent changes every five minutes to represent his journey across England! Like every town he goes, he gets a new accent. Hilarious.[/quote]

While RC's accent did waver quite a bit, I find it interesting that there has been so much comment about it (I suppose it's largely due to RC storming out of a Radio 4 interview!) when no one bothers to comment on the ludicrous German accents of Germans in WW2 films (ditto Russians - think Bob Hoskins in Enemy at the Gates). Not to mention Defiance, the WW2 Polish film with Daniel Craig, where the Russians spoke in Russian, with subtitles, and the Poles spoke in 'Polish' accents = heavily accented English. I know it was done to show us the differences between them, but it sounded so very stupid. Either no accents, or subtitles for both, please.

For non-Brits like RC, it's very hard to 'do' the local accents. I think his performance was excellent, and that's what was important, not his accent. Compare his effort versus Costner's, who couldn't act and had an unmistakeable American accent.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Tue May 18th, 2010, 4:30 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]
For non-Brits like RC, it's very hard to 'do' the local accents. I think his performance was excellent, and that's what was important, not his accent. Compare his effort versus Costner's, who couldn't act and had an unmistakeable American accent.[/quote]

Is that what mentioned in 'Robin Hood- Men in Tights'? "Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak in an English accent". I'm still waiting to see the new one. Need to find people to join me.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue May 18th, 2010, 6:33 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""](I suppose it's largely due to RC storming out of a Radio 4 interview!)[/quote]

And here it is - right at the beginning of the show - just listen to the first ten minutes - and it isn't about his accent in Robin Hood, but his most famous lines in Gladiator!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... anterbury/
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed May 19th, 2010, 12:54 am

Yes, I don't think RC's accent would have become such a joke if he hadn't thrown his toys out of the pram in that interview!

Also, part of the problem was the accent's wandering inconsistency rather than it's innaccuracy. Cate Blanchett's accent wasn't particularly genuine, but she stuck to it, so it didn't draw attention to itself.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed May 19th, 2010, 4:03 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Is that what mentioned in 'Robin Hood- Men in Tights'? "Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak in an English accent". .[/quote]

Yep, probably the funniest line in the movie, tho I think it was 'at least I have an English accent'. (and the funniest bit was the tights handed out in L'eggs containers)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Wed May 19th, 2010, 4:21 am

[quote=""Ash""]Yep, probably the funniest line in the movie, tho I think it was 'at least I have an English accent'. (and the funniest bit was the tights handed out in L'eggs containers)[/quote]

I own that movie, I think. I should watch it again. For, um, research. ;)
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat May 22nd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Just coming up to the end of the first LOTR film which is on as I'm typing this, forgotten how good it is!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat May 22nd, 2010, 9:33 pm

watched Ironman 2 last night, I love RD jr. he is just great for the part and MR was very convincing as well, loved all the tattoos!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”