Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue May 11th, 2010, 11:58 pm

[quote=""chuck""]Currently watching all of Helen Mirren's "Prime Suspect"....Outstanding Series....Top notch writing and great characters.....[/quote]
From the PBS Masterpiece archives--you can find online features about the series.
Last edited by princess garnet on Sun May 16th, 2010, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat May 15th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Robin Hood. Disappointing :( I admire Scott and Helegelund for their ambition, and for trying to do a revisionist version of the legend, but they tried to cram in way too much and ended up doing justice to none of it.

Good things: Portrayal of King John & William Marshall, Cate Blanchett as Marion, Eilieen Atkins as Eleanor of A.

Bad things:
1. Russell Crowe was too old, and just plain wrong as Robin - and what was that accent about????
2. The lost boys subplot was potentially interesting but totally undeveloped.
3. The attempt to lever in a fictional proto-Magna Carta was annoying and unconvincing.
4. And what were those D-Day landing craft doing in the beach battle scene?

Even the action scenes were a let-down. There was nothing that came close to the spectacular battle scenes in Kingdom of Heaven. It was just all a rushed, noisy muddle.

Maybe the director's cut will be better...
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 16th, 2010, 2:15 am

I so don't see Wm Hurt as Marshall.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun May 16th, 2010, 2:30 am

DayBreakers...good story line but middle of the road effects and little to cheesey action scenes.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Sun May 16th, 2010, 1:40 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]Robin Hood. 1. Russell Crowe was too old, and just plain wrong as Robin - and what was that accent about????
4. And what were those D-Day landing craft doing in the beach battle scene?

Even the action scenes were a let-down. There was nothing that came close to the spectacular battle scenes in Kingdom of Heaven. It was just all a rushed, noisy muddle. [/quote]

It's so interesting how different people's opinions can be!
I didn't think Crowe was too old - he looks in his 40s, which Robin Hood could be, couldn't he?

I'd forgotten the D-Day landing craft! My wife, who doesn't normally comment on historical inaccuracies, was most annoyed by them. It was the boys and longbowmen on horses which got me going.

As for Kingdom of Heaven - I thought that was awful, and far more muddled than Robin Hood.

Vive la difference!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun May 16th, 2010, 2:38 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""] It was the boys and longbowmen on horses which got me going.[/quote]
I don't even remember any longbowmen on horses...was that in the beach scene or earlier?

[quote=""parthianbow""]As for Kingdom of Heaven - I thought that was awful, and far more muddled than Robin Hood.
[/quote]
Story-wise, it was very muddled - the director's cut is much better - but I thought the battle scenes were fantastic.

On reflection, my feeling is that RS couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted to make an historical epic or a fun action-adventure. There were some awkward lurches in tone from serious drama to comedy and back again. Russell Crowe is a serious and very talented actor, but for me he failed to capture the lighter side of Robin Hood as a dynamic, mercurial man of the people - his presence is just too "heavy" for that.
ee cummings

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon May 17th, 2010, 5:58 pm

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Really enjoyed it, if "enjoy" is the right word for this - it ain't for the faint-hearted! If you liked the book, I guarantee you'll like this too - it's an object lesson in how to adapt a novel for the screen, in that it manages to make sense of a complex plot while still preserving the spirit of the book. And the two main characters are perfectly cast.

There's rumours of an American remake. Even with David Fincher on board (also rumoured) they'll have to go some to beat this version.

ETA: More on the Robin Hood discussion. Here's the peerless Dr. K's review of RH (which sums up my feelings about the movie better than I ever could :D )
http://www.youtube.com/kermodeandmayo#p ... jD4IDbDdDE
Last edited by Leo62 on Mon May 17th, 2010, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ee cummings

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue May 18th, 2010, 1:32 am

I love scary movies and think The Descent is in the running for scariest of all time so was excited to rent the Descent 2....what a freakin let down although the story had potential the cast and some of the story was less then expected.

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Tue May 18th, 2010, 1:43 am

I saw Kick-Ass! It's not historical, but it is hysterical. My review (from the fight choreographer/writer's perspective) on my blog.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue May 18th, 2010, 10:30 am

[quote=""nona""]I love scary movies and think The Descent is in the running for scariest of all time so was excited to rent the Descent 2....what a freakin let down although the story had potential the cast and some of the story was less then expected.[/quote]

Nona, I too thought that The Descent was excellent - really scary! I'd heard that the sequel was very poor, and after your comment, I won't ever bother with it.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”