Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Lady Kippen
Scribbler

Post by Lady Kippen » Thu September 25th, 2008, 7:10 pm

After many false starts I have FINALLY finished Now Face to Face and I all I can say is....eh. I liked the other two books in the series much better. And I really felt down on how she ended one of the important story lines. After all that waiting we deserved a much more satisfying ending... But, now I'm on to The Heretic Queen. And I love it! Egypt is not usually an area that interests me but I read Nefertiti and loved it. This sequal is just a good as the original if not better.
Last edited by Lady Kippen on Thu September 25th, 2008, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misspelling

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri September 26th, 2008, 12:11 am

Scarlet Lion just arrived; I'll be starting in on that very shortly!

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 26th, 2008, 12:29 pm

I'm still wait on Scarlet Lion, coming from UK so it will take time. Let me know what you think.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri September 26th, 2008, 1:36 pm

You might not have to wait long. I was pleasantly surprised by how quick it came (considering how long the Canadian copy was supposed to take!)

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 26th, 2008, 2:15 pm

it's been almost three weeks, my husband called dibs on it first and I've noticed everyday he goes and gets the mail and comes home with a frown. Hopefully it will get here this week.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Goodie swap

Post by EC2 » Fri September 26th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Still reading Mort by Terry Pratchett but a USA friend has just sent me The Pink Carnation - arrived this morning in a 'goody' parcel so I'll pick that up next - forgotten the author and book is downstairs at the moment.

p.s. self and a few internet friends swap 'goody' parcels from our own countries. We enclose stuff like pens and serviettes postcards, notebooks, bookmarks, inexpensive little fripperies peculiar to our own cultures. Chuck in a couple of books and then send them out a couple of times a year. It's great fun and the biggest cost is probably the postage. You never know what's going to turn up and it's great fun sorting out the thoughtful and the silly on a miniscule budget.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 26th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Is the author Lauren Willig and the book The Secret History of the Pink Carnation?

BTW, I have moved all the goodie swap posts to a separate thread in the Suggestions section.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri September 26th, 2008, 11:07 pm

I've moved on to A Spectacle of Corruption by David Liss and so far it's very interesting, and well written. Working on a review of Design for Tea by Jane Pettigrew.

I love the goodie swap idea, and wouldn't mind doing that with someone.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat September 27th, 2008, 2:30 am

I finished The Heretic Queen and started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 27th, 2008, 1:44 pm

I haven't started reading it yet but the library emailed me last night that 2 of the 3 EC books I requested are ready so I'll pick them up about 10am, hopefully by noon I'll be starting Sheilds of Pride or Shadows and Strongholds, leaving the Love Knot as the last to read of EC which is a bummer but I love to reread favorites so it all works out.

Return to “Archives”