Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Classics to Read

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed April 21st, 2010, 1:28 pm

[quote=""Jemidar""]The only Hardy I've read is Tess of the D'urbevilles and the Mayor Casterbridge. I found both of them incredibly depressing :( . Are his others any different?

This conversation is making me want to pull out all my fav classics and do a re-read. Classics can be considered historical fiction, can't they?[/quote]

I think Under the Greenwood Tree is more upbeat than the others, but I've never read it. Jude the Obscure is definitely in the depressing category.

My own favorite classic authors are Dickens, Austen, Charlotte Bronte, and Elizabeth Gaskell.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed April 21st, 2010, 2:37 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]So did I! Very dark and brooding.

How about Wilkie Collins? I loved The Moonstone and have The Woman in White on my TBR pile. Don't forget Bram Stoker's Dracula either. Are you just in the mood for classics or do you like modern classics, too, Nefret? I can't recommend Daphne du Maurier enough!

[/quote]

Oh, thanks Vanessa. I almost forgot to add those to my list. Pretty sure I've already read Dracula, but won't hurt to have a go again. And I'll have to look for Daphne du Maurier. Tess of the D'urbevilles is coming in the mail soon. boswellbaxter, what are some Elizabeth Gaskell books I should look for? Thanks to you guys for helping with my reading list. And getting suggestions of books I already own, just means I got a good one, right?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 21st, 2010, 3:24 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Oh, thanks Vanessa. I almost forgot to add those to my list. Pretty sure I've already read Dracula, but won't hurt to have a go again. And I'll have to look for Daphne du Maurier. Tess of the D'urbevilles is coming in the mail soon. boswellbaxter, what are some Elizabeth Gaskell books I should look for? Thanks to you guys for helping with my reading list. And getting suggestions of books I already own, just means I got a good one, right?[/quote]

Oh I second the rec on Du Maurier, and they're not all *romantic suspense* like Rebecca either.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Wed April 21st, 2010, 3:28 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh I second the rec on Du Maurier, and they're not all *romantic suspense* like Rebecca either.[/quote]

I do want to read Rebecca. I do not remember what other books I want to read by her though. Any suggestions?
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 21st, 2010, 3:33 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]I do want to read Rebecca. I do not remember what other books I want to read by her though. Any suggestions?[/quote]

So we don't go too far OT, how's about we continue it here?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed April 21st, 2010, 3:37 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]boswellbaxter, what are some Elizabeth Gaskell books I should look for? Thanks to you guys for helping with my reading list. And getting suggestions of books I already own, just means I got a good one, right?[/quote]

My own favorite Gaskell book is Wives and Daughters (Gaskell died before quite finishing it, but it's clear how things are going to be wrapped up). Gaskell's other novels deal with social issues (industrial unrest, unwed motherhood, etc.); Wives and Daughters is a more domestic story, centering on one girl's family relationships as she grows up and falls in love.

Of Gaskell's other novels, I prefer Ruth and North and South (I didn't like Mary Barton as well as her other books). I also recall Cranford (another domestic novel) as being enjoyable, but it's been years since I've read it.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 21st, 2010, 3:39 pm

I'll just quickly say besides Rebecca, some great ones by DduM are My Cousin Rachel, The House on the Strand and The Scapegoat.

I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Gaskell, but the TV series 'North and South' was very good, as was 'Cranford'.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Wed April 21st, 2010, 5:00 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]My own favorite Gaskell book is Wives and Daughters (Gaskell died before quite finishing it, but it's clear how things are going to be wrapped up). Gaskell's other novels deal with social issues (industrial unrest, unwed motherhood, etc.); Wives and Daughters is a more domestic story, centering on one girl's family relationships as she grows up and falls in love.

Of Gaskell's other novels, I prefer Ruth and North and South (I didn't like Mary Barton as well as her other books). I also recall Cranford (another domestic novel) as being enjoyable, but it's been years since I've read it.[/quote]

I also loved Wives and Daughters :) . And I've been meaning to read Cranford for absolutely ages but never seem to get to it.
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Nefret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Nefret » Wed April 21st, 2010, 5:14 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]So we don't go too far OT, how's about we continue it here?[/quote]

Good idea. Didn't mean to go so off topic, sorry. :o

My wishlist is getting bigger too.
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Wed April 21st, 2010, 5:20 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I think Under the Greenwood Tree is more upbeat than the others, but I've never read it. Jude the Obscure is definitely in the depressing category.[/quote]

Thanks Boswell :) . I think I remember catching a bit of the TV series of Under the Greenwood Tree and was surprised that it seemed to have a happy ending. I just thought I must of got it wrong :p .

One of my other favs that's not an English classic as such, is Dangerous Liasions by Choderlos de Laclos. It's an epistolary novel and is definitely worth reading!

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/12 ... _de_Laclos
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Return to “Classics”