Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed March 24th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Oh... that makes two of us then!!!! Well, if I log off the forum and write ;)
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sat March 27th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Not so much any best thing that happened today as such - just a quick update on some stuff that's been going on, mostly all good!

Most excitingly, got a new job, which is very scary/exciting as I haven't changed jobs in almost nine years. I'd been looking on and off for a couple of years, but this one approached me and it happened very quickly. When I handed in my notice, I was unexpectedly offered a large payrise and promotion to entice me to stay, so I had to weigh things up. But I need a change and have chosen a new environment with prospects for development over a nice big title but no real change (and I get to escape a boss I don't respect).

I also had builders in for what seemed like forever and was living at my parents for several weeks. I hated the upheaval but it was worth it and I'm all settled back in now.

So it's been stressful with the builders (my favourite curse these days is "May you have builders forever!"), all the negotiations at the new and old jobs, and work has been absolutely crazy and I'm so glad to be getting out of there. So I haven't been able to check this forum much or get too much reading done for many weeks...

But I'm off to Israel tomorrow for ten days for Pesach (Passover), after which I have my last three days at my current job, then a two-week break before I begin my new job! (It worked out quite nicely that of my four-week notice period, ten days was a pre-booked vacation.) So when I get back from Israel, I will have to plan what to do with my two free weeks. I may just have to go on another vacation....

I have too many health issues going on and my love life is in the doldrums... But overall, I'm feeling uncharacteristically upbeat and generally in a good place.

And I take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy Easter/Pesach season!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 27th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Congrats on the job and happy Pesach, enjoy your holiday!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 27th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Bravo! congrats to you! Enjoy your vacation and two weeks of freedom.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat March 27th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Great news SPB! Have fun on your vacation.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun March 28th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Have a wonderful Pesach, (oh lucky you, to be in Jerusalem at this time of year!).

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun March 28th, 2010, 3:40 pm

It all sounds very positive! Enjoy your vacation (s!) and the passover celebrations. I'm not religeous so don't do any of the traditions, but I do mark with light tread and a joyful feel that the spring has finally sprung, so I wish you that spark instead :-) . On the other hand, I certainly don't wish you any more builders! :-) ))
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun March 28th, 2010, 4:06 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]
Most excitingly, got a new job, which is very scary/exciting as I haven't changed jobs in almost nine years. ... But I need a change and have chosen a new environment with prospects for development over a nice big title but no real change (and I get to escape a boss I don't respect).

I have too many health issues going on and my love life is in the doldrums... But overall, I'm feeling uncharacteristically upbeat and generally in a good place.

And I take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy Easter/Pesach season![/quote]

Congrats on the new job, Justin/SPB! Travel safe and enjoy any adventures that come your way.

Hey everybody! I just got a new full-time job after nearly a year of part-time only which has been terrible for finances and for life in general. I'm looking forward to being part of this young company's growth and am excited about going there everyday and just doing what I do best. :) Upbeat, yes.

As life stabilizes, I plan to read more often than I have been the last few tumultuous months. My dating life with a particular someone has suddenly taken a bad turn due to an ex-wife on the scene, so the new job sure keeps my mind off love-life stuff for now.

And isn't springtime glorious? My dozen day lilies are coming back for the third year, so I plan to plant lots and lots more this year. I like repeater plants, for sure. Life goes on ....
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun March 28th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Hey congrats to you on the job. sounds very positive.
I haven't got very far yet. Flight delayed at least eight hours, so stuck in an airport hotel and kicking my heels...

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon March 29th, 2010, 3:51 am

[quote=""Leyland""]Congrats on the new job, Justin/SPB! Travel safe and enjoy any adventures that come your way.

Hey everybody! I just got a new full-time job after nearly a year of part-time only which has been terrible for finances and for life in general. I'm looking forward to being part of this young company's growth and am excited about going there everyday and just doing what I do best. :) Upbeat, yes.

As life stabilizes, I plan to read more often than I have been the last few tumultuous months. My dating life with a particular someone has suddenly taken a bad turn due to an ex-wife on the scene, so the new job sure keeps my mind off love-life stuff for now.

And isn't springtime glorious? My dozen day lilies are coming back for the third year, so I plan to plant lots and lots more this year. I like repeater plants, for sure. Life goes on ....[/quote]

I have been aching so badly for springtime this year, I was so happy to see forsythia in bloom late last week. My yard tends to run wild with violets and the frangrance is intoxicating.

And to everyone who is finding work right now, that is such good news!

Return to “Chat”