Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2010 edition)

Retired Threads
Erika Mailman
Scribbler

:)

Post by Erika Mailman » Sun March 21st, 2010, 9:04 pm

[quote=""princess""]Went into Waterstones for a browse today and to get some books for my 5 year old, when I spotted "The Owl Killers" by Karen Maitland (I loved "Company of Liars" so can't wait to start this) and beside it "The Witch's Trinity" by Erika Mailman. I can't decide which one to start first and I'm afraid "Half of a Yellow Sun" is going to be put to one side for the time being. My other half doesn't understand how I can be so excited about a couple of books lol.[/quote]

Thanks, Princess! I just started reading Owl Killers yesterday and so far it is just as wonderful as Company of Liars. I'm lucky that Maitland and Mailman are alphabetically similar--I'm in great company (of liars--grin)!
The Witch's Trinity
Visit my website at www.erikamailman.com
I blog about witchcraft at www.erikamailman.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon March 22nd, 2010, 10:47 am

Received Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez today.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Mon March 22nd, 2010, 12:54 pm

[quote=""Erika Mailman""]Thanks, Princess! I just started reading Owl Killers yesterday and so far it is just as wonderful as Company of Liars. I'm lucky that Maitland and Mailman are alphabetically similar--I'm in great company (of liars--grin)![/quote]

Let me just say that "The Witch's Trinity" was an excellent read - it had me gripped from the start and I could totally feel Gude's emotions through the whole story - it was very atmospheric. I'm glad Irmeltrude got her comeuppance in the end!!! I read this book in a day - definitely one I didn't want to put down :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 22nd, 2010, 9:20 pm

Now that I have got Hester out from the lib and read and reviewed it - now my copy from the early reviewers giveaway comes in the mail?

This is the second time this has happened.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon March 22nd, 2010, 10:18 pm

They are soooo slow. I'm waiting on my Feb giveaway copy, but am resigned to the fact that three weeks later means it's still "on time".

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 23rd, 2010, 12:29 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]They are soooo slow. I'm waiting on my Feb giveaway copy, but am resigned to the fact that three weeks later means it's still "on time".[/quote]

You wonder why the publishers do that. I thought the point of early reviewers/readers was to get word of the book out BEFORE the publication date. Sigh.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Erika Mailman
Scribbler

Post by Erika Mailman » Tue March 23rd, 2010, 2:05 am

[quote=""princess""]Let me just say that "The Witch's Trinity" was an excellent read - it had me gripped from the start and I could totally feel Gude's emotions through the whole story - it was very atmospheric. I'm glad Irmeltrude got her comeuppance in the end!!! I read this book in a day - definitely one I didn't want to put down :) [/quote]

You are so nice! Thank you so much. Absolutely made my day! :)

And I am still adoring the other book you picked up, The Owl Killers. Maitland is so amazing at world-building and making you feel like you live THERE, with the characters.
The Witch's Trinity
Visit my website at www.erikamailman.com
I blog about witchcraft at www.erikamailman.blogspot.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed March 24th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette by Sena Jeter Naslund

it looks good and has a 4 star reveiw and I've been thinking of getting but always get something else so now I have it.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed March 24th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Just got Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe, a compilation of the first two books in a trilogy - Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of Arete. These came highly praised by an acquaintance - the best books he'd ever read. My ears always prick up when someone says that.

Anyone else read them? They're about a Roman mercenary with amnesia/poss. PTSD, who speaks with the gods.
Last edited by parthianbow on Wed March 24th, 2010, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: error
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed March 24th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Just arrived from Amazon Vine -- The Last Princess by Indu Sundaresan. Continues the Moghul era story begun in The Twentieth Wife and A Feast of Roses.

Return to “Archives”