Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 17th, 2010, 9:30 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Just learned that one of my high school history teachers died after heart surgery. She must have been in her 80s by now, but was a fascinating person. She and her husband met during the runup to D-Day in 1944 -- he is now the last surviving member of the D-Day planning team; the meteorologist who helped make the final call whether or not to press ahead on June 6 or wait for a month. It just reminded me that while we talk about long-distant history on this forum, with every year that passes, more of our own past moves into the realm of history, beyond recall by anyone who experienced it first-hand.[/quote]

I am sorry to read about your teacher and you are so right about our recent past becoming history. It is also a little daunting if interesting to see the slants that get put on it as we move away. I sometimes see documentaries about Britain in the 1970's when I was a young teen, and I often think 'Hold on, that wasn't my experience.' So then you look back at older history and wonder how many individual stories do not fit within the eye of a lens looking back. People don't talk about the WWII era so much either because time has dimmed memory and those who lived it are dying off. When I was a very small child, I can remember the adults often talked round the table of their experiences both from a civvy and military service viewpoint. To them, although a couple of decades had passed, it still wasn't that long ago, and at the time they were reminiscing, the grandparents in the family were still there and the keeper of memories from the Great War of 1914.
Sobering...
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri March 19th, 2010, 1:43 pm

had a doctors appt yesterday. They drew blood because they think my thyroid is out of whack or that I might have early onset of diabetes or something. I'm 25 going on 26 this cannot be happening. Find out the results today sometime, ugh I hate the waiting period.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 19th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Hope your test results are OK Nona. Have you got a history of thyroid problems in your family? It's fairly common. Fingers crossed you come out OK.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri March 19th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Good luck with the test results Nona. As Madeleine says, it's fairly common. Fixable too with medication. My mum's been on meds for a faulty thyroid for around 30 years now and she's still fighting fit otherwise.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 19th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Hopefully your test results will be clear, Nona.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri March 19th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Nona, thyroid problems are quite commonly diagnosed in one's 20s. My Mom's been on thyroid meds half her life now.

Diabetes just plain sucks. My husband has had it more than 20 years and his is brittle.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri March 19th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Thank you all, I'm crossing my fingers it's nothing. I can deal with the whole faulty thyroid but diabetes runs in my family and I dread the thought of it, two of my four sisters has to give themselves insulin shots everyday and the thought of doing that disturbes me, and chocolate what will I do with out my peanut M&Ms!?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri March 19th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Sending good thoughts your way Nona, hugs!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat March 20th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Nona, you do NOT have to give up chocolate. You just have to figure out how your body reacts to it and the right amount of insulin to counteract that. Carb counting has made a huge difference for many diabetics.

Also the medical community is constantly working on potential cures and better treatments. Some people just take pills instead of shots, and I think I read something about a nasal spray.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 20th, 2010, 5:04 pm

I'm not going to sweat it anymore, the dr called and said he wanted me to come in Monday so I'll figure it all out then. Thank you everyone.

Return to “Chat”