Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ever Heard of This Book?

Ever run into a book that sounds intriguing, but you can't find a description about it anywhere? Ask your fellow members--maybe they've heard of it!
Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu March 11th, 2010, 10:41 am

[quote=""annis""]
I haven't read any, but he was a contemporary of Dickens and Bulwer-Lytton, and wrote in the romantic adventure style of Sir Walter Scott, so "romance" here is meant in the original sense. I suspect they might be a bit OTT in style.
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/ainsworth/bio.html[/quote]

Is he the Harrison Ainsworth who wrote a novel about the Pendle Witches? If so, I think Annis is probably right about the style :-)
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Secrets of the Tudor Court by D.L. Bogdan

Post by Jemidar » Sat March 13th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Okay I'll admit it, the title sucked me in :p .

And to cut a long story short, I saw this book while browsing on Amazon but cant find a blurb for it anywhere so was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it? It's available for pre-order and is released at the end of April 2010.

What makes me ask is that one bookseller listed it in the gay erotica section (:eek :) which is not my normal area of interest...lol.
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 13th, 2010, 6:30 pm

[quote=""Jemidar""]Okay I'll admit it, the title sucked me in :p .

And to cut a long story short, I saw this book while browsing on Amazon but cant find a blurb for it anywhere so was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it? It's available for pre-order and is released at the end of April 2010.

What makes me ask is that one bookseller listed it in the gay erotica section (:eek :) which is not my normal area of interest...lol.
[/quote]

I'm waiting for reviews and/or if the library gets it. My track record with this publishing house (the volcano of honey comes to mind) is very very poor, but that is just my humble opinion.

At the very least, I recommend waiting until the Search Inside feature is turned on and check it out that way.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat March 13th, 2010, 7:05 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I'm waiting for reviews and/or if the library gets it. My track record with this publishing house (the volcano of honey comes to mind) is very very poor, but that is just my humble opinion.

At the very least, I recommend waiting until the Search Inside feature is turned on and check it out that way.[/quote]

I believe it's about Mary Howard, who married Henry VIII's son Henry Fitzroy. The Search Inside feature has been activated--it looked interesting from what I could tell.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 13th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Posted by Carla
I
s he the Harrison Ainsworth who wrote a novel about the Pendle Witches?
Yep, that's the one. "The Lancashire Witches: A Romance of Pendle Forest" You can get a taste of it here:
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=9r2N ... q=&f=false

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 13th, 2010, 8:04 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I believe it's about Mary Howard, who married Henry VIII's son Henry Fitzroy. The Search Inside feature has been activated--it looked interesting from what I could tell.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Secrets of the Tudor Court by D.L. Bogdan

Post by Jemidar » Sat March 13th, 2010, 8:40 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I'm waiting for reviews and/or if the library gets it. My track record with this publishing house (the volcano of honey comes to mind) is very very poor, but that is just my humble opinion.

At the very least, I recommend waiting until the Search Inside feature is turned on and check it out that way.[/quote]

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I believe it's about Mary Howard, who married Henry VIII's son Henry Fitzroy. The Search Inside feature has been activated--it looked interesting from what I could tell.[/quote]

Thanks guys :) . I didn't think to use the "look inside" thingy...duh :rolleyes: .

BTW, does the volcano of honey reference have anything to do with Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard? And if it does, can you please tell me the name of the book? :D
Jenny

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 13th, 2010, 9:13 pm

[quote=""Jemidar""]Thanks guys :) . I didn't think to use the "look inside" thingy...duh :rolleyes: .

BTW, does the volcano of honey reference have anything to do with Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard? And if it does, can you please tell me the name of the book? :D [/quote]

:D :D :D

Not quite. This is That Tudor Vampire Book.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 21st, 2010, 11:00 am

[quote=""Jemidar""]Okay I'll admit it, the title sucked me in :p .

[/quote]

I've heard of it. I was offered an ARC but I am drowning at the moment, so turned it down.

There is a blurb on Barnes and Noble and going on that it would be a bit of a surprise if it was gay erotica!
When young Mary Howard receives the news that she will be leaving her home for the grand court of King Henry VIII, to attend his mistress Anne Boleyn, she is ecstatic. Everything Anne touches seems to turn to gold, and Mary is certain Anne will one day become Queen. But Mary has also seen the King's fickle nature and how easily he discards those who were once close to him...

Discovering that she is a pawn in a carefully orchestrated plot devised by her father, the duke of Norfolk, Mary dare not disobey him. Yet despite all of her efforts to please him, she too falls prey to his cold wrath. Not until she becomes betrothed to Harry Fitzroy, the Duke of Richmond and son to King Henry VIII, does Mary finds the love and approval she's been seeking. But just when Mary believes she is finally free of her father, the tides turn. Now Mary must learn to play her part well in a dangerous chess game that could change her life-and the course of history.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sun March 21st, 2010, 2:15 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]There is a blurb on Barnes and Noble and going on that it would be a bit of a surprise if it was gay erotica![/quote]

Thanks a lot :) .

Yes, I thought it unlikely but I just wanted to make sure, as I've been caught out with books not being what I thought before :o . It's amazing what's out there some days!
Jenny

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Return to “What's This Book About?”