Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudors chat

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Tue March 9th, 2010, 4:09 pm

[quote=""nona""]my eyes watered at Anne's death....I couldn't help it even though I wanted to hate her I just couldn't.[/quote]

Just wondering why you wanted to hate Anne?
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue March 9th, 2010, 5:11 pm

I guess hate is too strong a word but I really don't care for Anne, though interestingly as she is I disagree with how she manipulated her way to the top, offing men at her whim and churchs. Henry had issues and she did too and together they were a melting pot, she had no right what so ever to dethrone Catherine who by far was a better woman from any angle. Anne was nothing but an over grown brat used to getting her way and as Queen it only got worse.

of Henry's wives Catherine of Aragon would be the one I would back. Granted the Boleyn family is interesting, played high stakes roulette with the members of the family and some lost more then others anyhow of the family I find Mary, Anne's sister the most interesting. She bore the king a child, was sister to Queen Anne and to George and when the family went down between Anne and Kathryn Howard she only remained (of the immediate family). Her story would be a great one to hear.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Tue March 9th, 2010, 7:03 pm

[quote=""nona""]I guess hate is too strong a word but I really don't care for Anne, though interestingly as she is I disagree with how she manipulated her way to the top, offing men at her whim and churchs. Henry had issues and she did too and together they were a melting pot, she had no right what so ever to dethrone Catherine who by far was a better woman from any angle. Anne was nothing but an over grown brat used to getting her way and as Queen it only got worse.

of Henry's wives Catherine of Aragon would be the one I would back. Granted the Boleyn family is interesting, played high stakes roulette with the members of the family and some lost more then others anyhow of the family I find Mary, Anne's sister the most interesting. She bore the king a child, was sister to Queen Anne and to George and when the family went down between Anne and Kathryn Howard she only remained (of the immediate family). Her story would be a great one to hear.[/quote]

I think Henry and Cromwell might've also had something to do with dethroning Katherine :p . And Henry certainly didn't stop offing wives once Anne was gone, so you do have to wonder how much of it was actually due to her influence.

Of all the wives, Anne seems to get the worst rap. Most historians agree that the charges she was executed for were trumped up and many debate whether she actually had anything to do with Wolsey's downfall. Yes, she had issues (who doesn't?) but I've always thought of Henry as the spoilt brat...and he only got worse as he got older! Anne certainly didn't have anything to do with how he treated his later wives, which was also appalling!

One of the reasons why I liked Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Anne was because she was quite sympathetic even though it didn't gloss over her faults. It presented her as a human being caught in difficult times and situations. What choices did she really have? Of course, to make Anne's story interesting the writer's presented rumour and hearsay as fact, but what's a little historical inaccuracy between friends :rolleyes: .

And yes Mary Boleyn is an interesting figure (I hated her portrayal in The Tudors as this mealy mouthed girl) particularly if she did give it all up and marry Henry Stafford for love. There are several books around about her,
both fiction (most famously The Other Boleyn Girl) and non-fiction, and they're easy enough to get hold of. Some are also reputed to be historically accurate ;) .

Katherine of Aragon is also an interesting figure, but that's for another post :D .

Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon March 29th, 2010, 6:43 pm

The fourth season premier episode has been posted by Showtime on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2im07C ... _embedded#

princess garnet
Bibliophile

USA Today article

Post by princess garnet » Thu April 8th, 2010, 9:05 pm

In time for the final season, "USA Today" ran an article on it. Nothing new but it's a quick overview of Tudor mania.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon April 12th, 2010, 12:48 am

so I'm recording the new/final season so I can watch, I saw Kathryn Howard at the end of the last season and is it me or is the casting a little off? I can't picture her being Henry's Rose without a Thorn, I guess I get a piture in my head while reading about them and then when I see the show/movie I feel they should have casted them differently.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon April 12th, 2010, 12:52 am

I agree, Nona. She didn't seem to me the "innocent" Henry thought her to be, more like the slut (my opinion) she was.

We're watching the first episode tonight.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon April 12th, 2010, 12:56 am

esp that scene with her and Henry's ring, hmmph! innocent indeed not!

I'm interested in seeing Cathrine Parr. Do you think they'll follow up with an Elizabeth I series? they should as I would be interested in Mary and Elizabeth's future, though I know from reading it it is fun to watch.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon April 12th, 2010, 1:31 am

[quote=""nona""]esp that scene with her and Henry's ring, hmmph! innocent indeed not!
[/quote]

Uh oh, Harm is still 17 (18 in June), should I make her close her eyes?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon April 12th, 2010, 3:11 am

she rubs his ring up her thigh in a very provacative manner and then shows her laying naked on the bed and henry resting his head on her rear. So it depends on your sensorship.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”