Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Diana Norman/Ariana Franklin

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun March 29th, 2009, 3:43 am

I've only read 'Mistress of the Art of Death'. What other books are there?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun March 29th, 2009, 3:57 am

There's a list here, Nefret:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/diana-norman/

Several of the earlier ones written by Diana Norman are pretty much out of reach as far as buying goes- they are OP, hard to come by and very expensive. Luckily most libraries have access to them.

As Ariana Franklin she has written three to date, with a fourth one due out later this year.
1) Mistress of the Art of Death
2) The Serpent's Tale aka Death Maze
3) Grave Goods

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 7th, 2010, 2:43 am

I am so upset! My library had a number of Diana Norman books - notice I used the word had! Previously they had The Morning Gift, Daughter of Lir, Pirate Queen, The Vizard Mask and Shores of Darkness, but now they have all been removed off of the catalogue!

I had borrowed a couple of them but had to return them unread, but now I can't get them! Sob

Haven't check for ILL yet, but I will.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun March 7th, 2010, 2:56 am

Oh no! Did they withdraw them from stock? Maybe you could check and see if they've put them aside for sale and get dibs on them.

We used to have "Fitzempress' Law" on our library catalogue and now it's gone, too. It probably got put out on the sales table for peanuts, as I doubt whether anyone would have been aware of its true value. Curses!
Last edited by annis on Sun March 7th, 2010, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 7th, 2010, 3:07 am

I looked at the for sale books the other day, and picked up and EC book and a Dorothy Dunnett, but didn't notice any Diana Norman books, because otherwise I would have bought them all!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun March 7th, 2010, 12:41 pm

I was chatting to one of my favourite second hand booksellers once, and I was telling her some of the authors I look out for. She checked her catalogue....and it showed that she had had The Pirate Queen but had sold it only a few weeks earlier! She had no idea how much it was worth, so it would have been normal used book price. :mad:

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 3:29 am

Spotted on Publishers Marketplace today, a deal for a new one (or maybe an older one reissued? No title is given)

Mistress of the Art of Death series author Ariana Franklin's stand-alone medieval novel set during the chaotic and horrifying years of the war between Stephen and Matilda for the governance of England, [sold] to Rachel Kahan at Putnam, for publication in 2012, by Helen Heller at Helen Heller Agency (US). Canadian rights to Adrienne Kerr at Penguin Canada.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 4:44 am

Oooh-- i wonder if they're going to reissue The Morning Gift, or if it's a new book altogether?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 8:06 am

I heard not so long ago that she was very seriously ill. I don't know what was wrong with her, but whatever it was, apparently survival figures were not stellar. I have heard nothing since, so assume she is making a recovery, but I suspect she won't be in any condition to write a new novel. I do wonder if they are going to reissue The Morning Gift?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri December 3rd, 2010, 5:07 am

Sorry to hear that Diana Norman is so ill. How sad that this should happen just as her work has found a wider audience :( (Though I do wish she hadn't disillusioned me by writing the dreadful Serpent's Tale aka The Death Maze!)

Morning Gift would be a good choice for a reissue - it has a strong, sparky heroine, the requisite royalty- including DN's favourite, Henry Fitzempress (later Henry II), humour, lively banter, quirky characters and romance.
Last edited by annis on Sat December 4th, 2010, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “By Author”