Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun February 28th, 2010, 11:02 am

Watched Journey to the Centre of the Earth with Brendon Fraser today with my son.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Sunshine Cleaning

Ok. Not funny enough for my present mood. When life gets dramatic, I tend to stick with comedy for my entertainment.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon March 1st, 2010, 1:26 am

"Amelia", good but sad, even though we know how it ends (well not fully but that she and Fred Noonan were never seen alive conclusively again).

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon March 1st, 2010, 6:21 am

watched The Duchess since I could not sleep. What an interesting story, I must read Georgiana by Foreman so I can get more details on her life and so forth.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 1st, 2010, 11:10 pm

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium was delightful!

Just loved Dustin Hoffman in the title role and the theory of root words for "accountant."

Fun, fluffy movie. Special features are nice too.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon March 1st, 2010, 11:16 pm

Dean Spanly - a bit slow and quirky but ultimately rewarding.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed March 3rd, 2010, 4:22 am

Just finished watching "The Soloist"....Jamie Fox, Robert Downey Jr. and Katherine Kinnear were excellent....About a L A Times columnist, Downey and a talented Cellist who is Homeless and Mentally Ill played by Fox....a decent snapshot of the plight of the Homeless and many who struggling with Mental Illness...The Music makes the film soar....worth a watch.....I would rate Geoffrey Rush's portrayal in "Shinning" as a better film.....

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed March 3rd, 2010, 10:17 pm

I really enjoyed the Soloist too, though I agree it doesn't stick in the memory like Shine

Having a romcom phase at the moment. I have been enchanted by Enchanted and ROTFL @ How to lose a guy in 10 days.

Anyone recommend any decent romcoms? There are so many crap ones about...
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Thu March 4th, 2010, 11:45 am

Alice in Wonderland - the new version. Had one of those weird experiences where people applauded at the end of the film. :) Last time that happened was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sat March 6th, 2010, 2:32 am

[quote=""Leyland""]The Wolfman a couple days ago with Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt (Young Victoria) and Benicio de Toro. Liked it a lot. Lovely gothic background! Trippy though, seeing Young Victoria fighting off a werewolfman. Wait, YV already kills supernatural beings ... and keeps the skulls I think.[/quote]

Me, too! I loved it, but I don't think it's performed very well at the box office. Reviews were uniformly bad - a shame, I felt, because frankly I've seen much worse. I felt the film lived up to its premise.

Saw a very dark and beautifully done animated film titled 9 the other night (not be confused with the musical Nine). I really liked it; I recall there was some hoopla about it not being appropriate for children (it's not, really, though these days kids see much worse) and parents feeling it was marketed inappropriately, as in they did not have enough warnings to keep their kids away.

Whatever. It was rated PG, and Wolfman was rated R, and on the day I went to see Wolfman I was taken aback to see parents with young kids there. When the lights came on, the kids seemed fine, though the film is violent and gory.

I'm hoping to see the new Alice this weekend!
Last edited by cw gortner on Sat March 6th, 2010, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”