Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

any historical personages you wish had fiction composed about them

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Doug Bradshaw
Scribbler

Post by Doug Bradshaw » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 3:31 am

Hans Bethe.

theredsoldier
Scribbler

Post by theredsoldier » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 3:46 am

Gavrilo Princip - now THAT could be interesting!
WWII Eastern Front Action Novel
http://www.theredsoldier.com
Stalingrad, as only the Russian soldier could know... available now

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 7:23 pm

Posted by MLE earlier this year
After reading the wik link on renaissance artist Sofronisba Anguissola, it seems this lady would make an excellent protagonist for some ambitious writer. And it allows for romance and a happy ending, too!
Just noticed on a list of books fortcoming for March next year, this one:
Lynn Cullen, "The Creation of Eve", Putnam (set in the 16th-c Spanish court, based on the life story of Sofronisba Anguissola, the first renowned female portraitist of the Renaissance)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 7:56 pm

I'll probably buy that one!

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat December 12th, 2009, 9:07 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]Now this is a topic near and dear to my heart!

I'd love to see someone who actually knows how to research and how to write (like say Colleen McCullough) a book about the various Cleopatras who came before VII. While the last Cleopatra who ruled Egypt was famously interesting, her predecessors were as much if not moreso. From the first who was the daughter of Antiochos III to second and third who ere murderous rivals and mother and daughter. To the three who were sent off to the Seleucid court and wreaked mayhem that defied even Shakespeare to get a good enough grasp to write a play about them.

[/quote]

Me too! I'm writing an alternative history about Cleopatra VII right now, and the other Cleopatras are fascinating me!

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat February 6th, 2010, 12:25 am

this one would be fun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Harlan

Josiah Harlan, the American who travelled to Afganistan and made himself the Prince of Ghor. The inspiration for Kiplings "Man who would be King."

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue March 2nd, 2010, 9:02 pm

gotz von Berlichingen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen

The 15th century German mersenary who lost his right hand in battle. he went ahead and constructed a mechanical hand from metal with working joints, the basis for modern prostethics. Contined to ply his trade of fighting well into his 60s.

Also credited by Gothe with the famous phrase "Leck mich im Arsch". You dont even need to know German to be able to figure that one out :-)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue March 2nd, 2010, 9:34 pm

A slightly esrlier (14th century) badass: Klaus Störtebeker (born around 1360 in Wismar; died 20 October 1401 in Hamburg) a Baltic pirate who was the leader of a company of privateers cum pirates known as the Victual Brothers("Vitalienbrüder" in German). I'm sure there must be the potential for some exciting fiction in there somewhere.

Störtebeker reputedly struck a deal before he was executed; any of his company he managed to walk past after being beheaded should be spared. He is said to have walked headless past 11 before his body fell, but the authorities reneged on the deal and executed all his followers anyway. Störtebeker's skull has taken on iconic status and I came across his story in this article about his skull being stolen:
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/eu ... 74764.html

Störtebeker's execution in 1401

Reconstruction of Störtebeker's head, taken from his skull
Last edited by annis on Tue March 2nd, 2010, 11:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Tue March 2nd, 2010, 9:39 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Stilicho would be an interesting subject. He was an ancillary character in Breem's Eagle in the Snow, but I don't know that much has been written about him (compared to Belisarius and Justinian's contemporaries for example).[/quote]

There is one by Felix Dahn. Very 19th century-ish, pro Gothic, and probably never translated into English. ;)

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Tue March 2nd, 2010, 10:59 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Yeah, and why hasn't anyone written anything about her sister Mary?[/quote]

Didn't Philippa do that? I didn't read TOBG, mind you, just saw the film, and there was plenty of Scarlet Johanson (sp?) as Mary.

But yes, there was much more to say about May as one of the mistresses of François I. Right, Julianne?

Return to “General Discussion”