Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sun September 21st, 2008, 10:01 pm

I've just been reading another book about Charles II, Jane, Georgette Heyer's "Royal Escape", which is set in the period when the young Charles, having suffered defeat at the 1651 Battle of Worcester, is hunted by Parliamentary forces while on a desperate race to reach the coast and a ship heading to the safety of France.

Now that sounds like a Charles II book worth reading. And I actually have a copy. :)

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 1:42 am

The Last Wife of Henry VIII, I wonder exactly how much of this is true, such as the sister in law in a work camp? and thhe St Agatha's bodies, is this true?

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 3:52 am

I have just started The Other Queen....might not finish it! The characters are not coming to life for me, unlike EC's that just spring off the page into my head!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 9:03 am

Having enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, I'm now reading the Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 11:05 am

Flashman and the Dragon by George Macdonald Fraser. I must confess that I was a bit surprised by a few of the things that have happened so far, but I think I am getting used to the tone now.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 1:40 pm

Finishing A Bookshelf of Our Own by Deborah Felder. An excellent summary of books written by women over the centuries, starting with what many people consider the first novel, the Japanese The Tale of Genji, written in the 11th century, through more famous writings such as Emma and Anne Frank. Very very interesting look at the lives of the author's themselves, the times they lived in, and the influence of their writing.

http://www.amazon.com/Bookshelf-Our-Own ... 381&sr=1-1

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 3:32 pm

"Wellington: The Iron Duke," by Richard Holmes

Decided to read this before I start Lords of the Bow which I got last week.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:02 pm

Pat, I've just started The Other Queen as well. I don't like to badmouth other authors' works, but let's just say I'm finished half way through. I should have read the Amazon reviews!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:04 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Having enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, I'm now reading the Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel.[/quote]

Oh I loved The Clan of the Cave Bear. It's one of my 'read more than once' books! Hope you like it Vanessa.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:22 pm

I'm enjoying it so far! :) I'm finding it quite fascinating.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”