Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:33 am

[quote=""JaneConsumer""]Well, I abandoned Restoration pretty quickly. In chapter 2, Charles II starts going down on one of his mistresses while the narrator describes her feminine parts in coarse modern terms. Do you hear the book hitting the wall?

Now on to Penmarric by Susan Howatch.[/quote]

Thanks, that one is going off my wish list. Eeewww. How bad was the damage to the wall?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:45 am

The other Queen is dull as tombs! I dunno if I can get through this one. I'm so glad I got it from the lib!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:52 am

[quote=""Divia""]The other Queen is dull as tombs! I dunno if I can get through this one. I'm so glad I got it from the lib![/quote]

Hey, as good as I thought Margaret George was after the auto bio of Henry VIII and Cleopatra even her take on Mary was boring (IMO), although there was nothing wrong with her writing/research. Mary is boring, irritating as all get out to the point of bordering on TSTL.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:57 am

I'm trying to think if I've ever read a novel about MQoS that got me interested in her life. I haven't read Margaret George's version but have read many others.

Other Queen really picked up in the last 50 pages, but by that point my attention had slipped.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:12 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Other Queen really picked up in the last 50 pages, but by that point my attention had slipped.[/quote]

Hmmm, that's kind of late in the game for me. Library or not I believe I'll bag this one unless someone can really convince me to try another PG novel.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:22 am

I just finished Marsh King's Daughter and wow, just wow. If there was an emoticon for applause, I'd use it. And since Scarlet Lion isn't here yet, I need to decide what else to read. I do have Edward Sawtelle (gotten way before the Oprah choice!) and should probably dive into that one next.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 21st, 2008, 2:27 am

[quote=""Ash""]I just finished Marsh King's Daughter and wow, just wow. If there was an emoticon for applause, I'd use it. And since Scarlet Lion isn't here yet, I need to decide what else to read. I do have Edward Sawtelle (gotten way before the Oprah choice!) and should probably dive into that one next.[/quote]

Oh dear, another EC addict :) :D . Were you one of those on the Amazon HF discussions who wanted to strangle me for always promoting EC's books? Do you have Shadows and Strongholds? A lovely coming of age story. I could read it again and again and again (but hell I could do that with any of her books). Almost October.......

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 21st, 2008, 3:17 am

Hee, no, I wasn't. I was intrigued tho, because we share many of the same favorite reads (and not so favorite!) so I did want to try one. Yes I do have S&S and have read about a third of it.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 21st, 2008, 3:42 am

I think we're going to have to form an EC support group after october to get us through to the next novel.

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Sun September 21st, 2008, 4:52 am

One of these days I need to read EC. I keep meaning to but her books generally take too long to ship and I am the impatient sort. I can't walk in the stores here and buy her, so, yeah... One of these days. Maybe if I get gift cards for my birthday!

Return to “Archives”