Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Smelly Books

Got a link of interest to your fellow members? Post it here!
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Smelly Books

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat September 20th, 2008, 1:51 pm

At the old site, JaneConsumer posted this link on cleaning and caring for books:

http://fuzzyhistory.com/2008/07/17/how- ... our-books/

Someone donated some periodicals to an organization to which I belong yesterday. I opened the box and nearly fell over from the cigarette smoke. So now, the periodicals are basking in a box full of air freshener, per Jane's suggestion.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Sat September 20th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I skimmed over this page and didn't see it mentioned, but Lysol states on the back of the can that it's good for keeping mould off of books.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat September 20th, 2008, 2:47 pm

I have received books in the mail that were horribly smelly. I have a air purifier; I place the books (one at a time) on the vent, standing it up open so it fans out. In a few days, the smell is gone. If not, I send it back!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:32 pm

I receive the occasional older paperback in the mail that has a moldy or smoky scent, so I spray disinfectant into the book as I fan the pages. That usually works without resorting to more complicated methods of removing nasty smells.

When I buy used books at a charity store or yard sale, I'll stick my nose into older ones and take a deep whiff before deciding to buy or not. I get strange looks sometimes. Maybe I should brightly smile and say "I just love the smell of moldy pages in the morning!"
Last edited by Leyland on Sat September 20th, 2008, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: left out a crucial word!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat September 20th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Whenever I get books to sell, I always sniff them if they're older, I don't have a great sense of smell but if I can smell something I always note on the auction page that it has a musty or some kind of smell.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun September 21st, 2008, 1:36 am

I'm allergic to perfume and cologne, and have had trouble with library books, used books and trade books being too scented for me to tolerate. My acupuncturist has suggested sealing the book into a plastic garbage bag with a ionizing-type air purifier and letting it run for awhile. I haven't tried this yet, but should test it out on something soon. It might work with tobacco odors as well.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Links”