Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudors chat

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri September 12th, 2008, 2:18 pm

AA Gill wrote a review a few weeks ago in The Sunday Times:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 430389.ece
(his comments on The Tudors start about a third of the way into the article).

Not sure if he coined the term 'chick-hist' himself, though...

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Fri September 12th, 2008, 3:40 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Season 1 has been out for a while now. Not sure when we will get Season 2.[/quote]

March, I believe.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Fri September 12th, 2008, 3:43 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]AA Gill wrote a review a few weeks ago in The Sunday Times:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 430389.ece
(his comments on The Tudors start about a third of the way into the article).

Not sure if he coined the term 'chick-hist' himself, though...[/quote]

AA Gill makes me laugh! Wurzel Gummidge hats?! He's right about Henry being a bit camp though :D

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 19th, 2008, 9:24 pm

I was dying to see this series, watched the first episode and quit watching. I'm thinking I need to rent season one and two so I can see what everyone is talking about I just thought it was oring and too sexual on that first show....so I'm going to give it another go, is there going to be another season you think?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri September 19th, 2008, 10:57 pm

The rather graphic sex that was shown in the first couple of episodes doesn't appear in every one, and by season two, I thought it was pretty tame for the most part (with a couple of exceptions). There is going to be a third season (I think they are filming it now).

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri September 19th, 2008, 11:51 pm

[quote=""Perdita""]AA Gill makes me laugh! Wurzel Gummidge hats?! He's right about Henry being a bit camp though :D [/quote]

It was the comment about the furry dressings gowns and mad granny jewelery that made me splutter - spot on!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:04 am

Due to the reviews here..I have just ordered the dvd from the library. I am 6th in line! Hope they watch it quickly!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:13 am

[quote=""EC2""]It was the comment about the furry dressings gowns and mad granny jewelery that made me splutter - spot on![/quote]

Lol! I actually wish that we could still dress like that.. jeans are so boring :p The costumes look quite Elizabethan to me, especially the men's.
Last edited by Perdita on Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:18 am

[quote=""pat""]Due to the reviews here..I have just ordered the dvd from the library. I am 6th in line! Hope they watch it quickly![/quote]

You'll love it - if you don't take it too seriously and just enjoy it for the mad costumes, the impossibly handsome Cranmer and Anne Boleyn's suspiciously botox enhanced features you'll find it good fun. There are a few weepy bits in there as well though. All in all it's completely addictive :D

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:04 am

if I remember right our Blockbuster has four copies of season one so I'll look into renting it first maybe buy later if it is any good

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”