Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

4ever Queen
Reader

Post by 4ever Queen » Thu January 7th, 2010, 3:18 am

Between xmas 'n new year's I have watched Hangover which wasn't to my taste. I watched a Stand Up comedy by ?? Iglesias which was hilarious! And finally went to watch Sherlock Holmes which was OK, I should have waited for it in DVD =}
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu January 7th, 2010, 4:33 am

Still want to see that Sherlock Holmes movie. Watched Stargate- The Ark of Truth this afternoon.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu January 7th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Last night, I saw an oldie for the first time, RASPUTIN AND THE EMPRESS, starring the three Barrymores.

Interesting to watch the hamming, especially Lionel, who played Rasputin and sounded like Dr. Gillespie from the Dr. Kildaire films. Not enough time for me to comment on the errors in History.

Classic MGM staging though.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat January 9th, 2010, 2:29 pm

watched Defiance last night, very moving action film based on a true story set in Russia about the German invasion and mass killings of Jews, two brother fight and protect 1200 jews until it was over. Very good movie.

tonight we watch Seven Pounds.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 9th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Defiance was really good. There was a scene in it that still resonates with me: when they capture a young German soldier, and the resulting consequences. I still have conflicting feelings about that (we talked about this a bit in another forum, when we were discussing Wolf Hall, and the psychology of a mob).

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat January 9th, 2010, 3:09 pm

yes that will stick with a person, I agree I'm torn between siding with the mob for all they had been through and loved ones they saw killed at the hands of Germans and the German soldier I kinda felt sorry for him, he had no hope except Turvia who kept silent.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat January 9th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Got halfway through The Time Traveller's Wife. A bit slow, though an hour of Eric Bana with no clothes on wasn't too much of a hardship :D Will watch the rest tonight.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Robin and Marion

Post by Ken » Sat January 9th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Snowed in yesterday so watched 'Robin and Marion' (1976) with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. As the ageing Robin (who had just killed the nasty Sheriff) lay dying in her arms from the poison she had administered to them both, she tells him:

"I love you. More than all you know. I love you more than children. More than fields I've planted with my hands. I love you more than morning prayers or peace or food to eat. I love you more than sunlight, more than flesh or joy, or one more day. I love you...more than God."

Afternoon sniffles from yours truly!! :o :o

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat January 9th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I watched the rest of Tudors season 3. It seemed kinda rushed to me. Here we have Anne and she is just in 2 episodes. And then they are like "you will be the kings sister, great wonderful moving on...have a great life."
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 9th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Ken, I remember David and I being very disappointed with that movie and I think we turned it off at the end, coz I don't remember that line. I would have. Thats beautiful. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”