Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon January 4th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Have been watching the PBS series about Louise May Alcott....She had a very interesting and hard life....Saw the "Little Woman" films...Never read her books.....Interesting PBS take...They have different actors portraying LAM,life in Concord Ma. her father/mother/sister, Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson etc, reciting her diaries or making comments from different letters etc....Did not realize the amount of short journal stories by LMA....The social mores of the times and her strict father's rules had to be socially stifling.....Good looking series....
Last edited by chuck on Thu January 7th, 2010, 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon January 4th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I wish Hollywood would back off on the OTT Special Effects...some OK...but please do not let it dominate the films...IE the new Sherlock Holmes....SH was not a kick boxer and I don't think he leaped out/over tall buildings(just kidding)...I wont pay $15.00 to see it on the big screen...maybe DVD........Excuse the rant....
Last edited by chuck on Wed January 6th, 2010, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon January 4th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Hey Chuck -- just came across mention of Mel Gibson turning his hand to a Viking movie!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43372

But can he be trusted not to give his Vikings horned helmets? :)

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon January 4th, 2010, 11:20 pm

[quote=""chuck""]I wish Hollywood would back off on the OTT Special Effects...some OK...but please do not let it dominate the films...IE the new Sherlock Holmes....SH was not a kick boxer and I don't think he leaped out/over tall buildings(just kidding)...I wont pay $15.00 to see it on the big screen...maybe DVD........Excuse the rant....[/quote]

I didn't care. It was great. :D And the CGI Victorian London was fantastic. You could almost smell the "dust".
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

chuck
Bibliophile

Mel and Leonardo...... Vikings

Post by chuck » Wed January 6th, 2010, 4:35 am

:eek: :eek: [quote=""annis""]Hey Chuck -- just came across mention of Mel Gibson turning his hand to a Viking movie!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43372

But can he be trusted not to give his Vikings horned helmets? :) [/quote]

Remember Wallace and his clan wearing kilts....As you know I have very little trust in MG and Historical distortions.....Just picked up Robert Low's "White Raven"....The first couple of pages are real grabbers....Hope he lightens up a bit.....Look forward to reading it.....The saga continues...He is working on a fourth installment......

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed January 6th, 2010, 1:39 pm

I agree about OTT CGI - tell me the story, with good acting and a decent script. I don't need all that smoke and mirrors.

Chuck, one of the most eye opening experiences for me was a visit to Alcott's home in Concord. Little Women was one of my fav books as a child, and I loved the movie with Katharine Hepburn. But I knew little about her, or her father and his circle. (my husband also saw me oogling over a 1890 edition of the book with gorgeous woodcut drawings, and he bought it for me for our anniversary!) Very very interesting, gave me a new perspective on the story and on her other books.
Last edited by Ash on Wed January 6th, 2010, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed January 6th, 2010, 3:09 pm

[quote=""chuck""] :eek: :eek:

Remember Wallace and his clan wearing kilts....As you know I have very little trust in MG and Historical distortions.....Just picked up Robert Low's "White Raven"....The first couple of pages are real grabbers....Hope he lightens up a bit.....Look forward to reading it.....The saga continues...He is working on a fourth installment......[/quote]

I don't mind Mel, but Leo the Viking I can't picture.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed January 6th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Mel Gibson was amazing in Hamlet, a pleasantly surprising performance. Everything else I have seen him with has been pretty bad, and I won't watch another with him.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 7th, 2010, 12:24 am

[quote=""Ash""]Mel Gibson was amazing in Hamlet, a pleasantly surprising performance. Everything else I have seen him with has been pretty bad, and I won't watch another with him.[/quote]

Ditto! Plus his personal life and beliefs are a bit off for me, but his "Hamlet" is aces!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu January 7th, 2010, 1:40 am

I try very hard not to know about an actor/actress' personal life. When I watch a performance, I want it to be just that--a performance.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”