Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 3rd, 2010, 3:23 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I could not watch that movie, for many reasons. It will be an interesting discussion no doubt with your class, but its premise, I just couldn't do. (refresh my memory, what grade do you teach?)[/quote]

I teach 8th grade language arts (which we used to call English...it's reading and writing).
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun January 3rd, 2010, 3:27 pm

I just got done watching the new Star Trek. That was a fun ride. A lot of explosions and eye candy.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun January 3rd, 2010, 6:49 pm

An Education. Great, underrated movie. Got the period exactly right.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun January 3rd, 2010, 7:07 pm

Susan, yeah, thats about the right age for the topic. Be very interesting to hear how they respond to both movies. Book Theif is another good one that kids that age can probably handle.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 3rd, 2010, 7:36 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Susan, yeah, thats about the right age for the topic. Be very interesting to hear how they respond to both movies. Book Theif is another good one that kids that age can probably handle.[/quote]

We're reading Anne Frank's diary, but I am not going to show them that film. I don't have a copy of it (and neither does my library) and I think it is somewhat dated because it is from the 1950s. Also it is based upon the play. I really think my students will like Life is Beautiful. I'm going to use English subtitles and let them hear the Italian. Most of my students are Latino and speak Spanish, so I suspect they will understand a bit of the spoken dialogue.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun January 3rd, 2010, 11:41 pm

Actually from what I remember, great liberties were taken with the Anne Frank story in both the play and movie, so thats just as well.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon January 4th, 2010, 2:33 am

gladiator. Eh, it was OK.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon January 4th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Lord of the Rings- The Return of the King. Oh, I love this movie. It was on telly last night. :D

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon January 4th, 2010, 5:28 pm

I watched "Alien" the other night ....It still an amazing film....riveting and many of the scenes....still gives me the willies/creeps.....Sigourney Weaver is terrific.....

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 4th, 2010, 8:19 pm

[quote=""chuck""]I watched "Alien" the other night ....It still an amazing film....riveting and many of the scenes....still gives me the willies/creeps.....Sigourney Weaver is terrific.....[/quote]

Oh yes, Alien is a great movie, plenty of jump out of your skin moments :eek:

Watched Quantum of Solace and most of Batman Begins last night, BB OK once it finally got going, could have done with a bit less of all that Jedi-style training and macho posturing in the first hour though, still Bale is pretty good in the lead.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”