Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon Vine

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Amazon Vine

Post by Divia » Wed August 27th, 2008, 10:13 pm

I posted this on the other MB, and I was wondering what items people picked from the latest Amazon Vine newsletter.

I only got one book and that was the Tsar's Dwarf. Its OK, but I have to confess its not overly exciting just yet.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Amazon Vine

Post by LCW » Thu September 18th, 2008, 12:11 am

I finally got an invite to join the Vine program but there was really nothing good left in the newsletter for this month. I got one book by John Shors about WWII. It looked good!

Also, is it always just books or is each newletter customized to each participant. Also do we have to pick a certain number of items per month?? Sorry for the questions but I can't figure out how to get back to the Vine information on the Amazon site!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu September 18th, 2008, 12:14 am

I think its customized based on the survey you fill out. I think you can change the info

I had the same problem with the newsletters. Because it comes out at noon EST, I can't get to it for several hours as I am at work. So by the time I get there, there's not much left.

FWIW I read Shor's first book, and was underwhelmed. Let me know what you think of this one, because like the first one, its an interesting premise.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 18th, 2008, 2:36 am

The new newsletter comes out tomorrow. Spiffy.

I think you can pick choose titles or whatever from the newsletter then the following week they have a "left over" newsletter and anything that people didn't pick you can choose. You have to review 75% of what you get though.

Last month there was nothing but books. People got their knickers in a knot over that becuase a lot of em want software n stuff. Well, I think there were other things besides books, but not a lot.

No one really knows how the newsletter is directed to people. I think its what you buy normally from amazon and things you review. but there were people saying they always buy and review software and havent recieved any yet.

I'm OK with just getting books HOWEVER, I do want some better book choices. THe two books I picked last month SUCKED. There was a good amount of HF on the newsletter but they were lackluster at best.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Late Again...

Post by Divia » Thu September 18th, 2008, 8:54 pm

ONce again the Amazon vine newsletter had issues!

What did everyone get when they finally got something?

I got an Italian language CD which I am excited about. :)

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 18th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Woohoo!! I got a Yoga video that I was planning on purchasing anyway once it was released. I have the instructors other video and I love it so this is such a score!!

I also picked a novel by Katherine Neville who wrote The Eight. I haven't read it yet but it got good reviews so I thought I'd pick this one too.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 18th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Whats the title of the book? I'm thinking about getting the graphic novel, but its not really calling my name....

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm

It's called The Fire: A Novel. Looks pretty good!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 18th, 2008, 10:59 pm

hmm that wasnt on my list.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Amazon Vine - What did you get today?

Post by Misfit » Thu October 16th, 2008, 7:20 pm

This should be fun,
Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!
By: Guy Fieri, Ann Volkwein
Category: Cookbook

Food Network star Guy Fieri takes you on a tour of America's most colorful diners, drive-ins, and dives in this tie-in to his enormously popular television show, complete with recipes, photos, and memorabilia. Packed with Guy's iconic personality, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives follows his hot-rod trips around the country, mapping out the best places most of us have never heard of. From digging in at legendary burger joint the Squeeze Inn in Sacramento, California, baking Peanut Pie
And,
Kentucky Clay: Eleven Generations of a Southern Dynasty
By: Katherine Bateman

Eleven generations of a founding American family are examined in this sweeping history that traces the Clays of Kentucky, a true Southern dynasty. The Clays of Virginia and the Cecils of Maryland were second sons of the English aristocracy who gambled on the New World. Some of the most well-known members of this clan include Henry Clay, who ran for president against James K. Polk; his cousin, Cassius Marcellus Clay, prominent abolitionist and Lincoln’s advisor against slavery; and the
Although the product page says it's less than 300 pages. How does one tell the story of eleven generations in less than 300 pages?

Return to “Chat”