Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue December 1st, 2009, 4:58 pm

There is no big winner. Though fewer than 5% of participants will write the entire 50,000 words by the deadline.

My prizes for winning: web badges; a nice certificate I can print out; a free printed and bound copy of my manuscript from Createspace; and the pride of accomplishment.

It's not for stuff, it's for motivation, practice, and discipline. A challenge, rather than a competition. Writing every day for a month is an excellent way to get back into the habit. And it helped me get past mental blocks.

I wouldn't bet I can keep doing NaNo year after year, but it's really helped me this time.

Edited to say: I sit corrected. I just checked in on the NaNo site and this year's participants have broken all kinds of records. So far the winners' number stands at 19% and a few times zones haven't closed yet. Also there were over 2 billion words written in the challenge this year. Pretty cool, huh?
Last edited by LoveHistory on Tue December 1st, 2009, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Tue December 1st, 2009, 5:34 pm

That is prett cool LoveHistory!

My best thing today - finding out the Kid's Christmas party I had to plan for our work party is going to be staffed for 2 out of the 3 craft stations. I had thought I was going to have to juggle gingerbread cookies and window ornaments for 109 kids at the same time! I had overcommitted, yet again, and was glad to find out I will have an extra pair of hands.

Happy December 1st to all! :)
Andrea

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue December 1st, 2009, 10:48 pm

Will be having dinner with a visiting relative on a brief business trip after I get off work tonight

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed December 9th, 2009, 1:47 am

On my hike today, I walked through snow! At the top of the hill, somebody had built a snowman.
I've seen snow on the hills before, but never this plentiful or this low. Cold, but beautiful.
A link to someone else's picture of my snowy hiking trail here.

edited: well, drat, this link insists on putting up the whole slideshow. I only wanted to show # 38, Rocky Ridge.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Wed December 9th, 2009, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed December 9th, 2009, 3:04 am

Hi MLE,

It must have been beautiful! It might just be my computer, but the link didn't work for me (and I certainly don't mind seeing a whole slideshow - I love photos!).
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed December 9th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I went through the whole slideshow. Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing it MLE.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat December 12th, 2009, 4:46 am

Got a wireless router today, and got my computer set up to it, but it'll only be worth it if I can get Harm's and mom's laptops connected to it!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat December 12th, 2009, 5:48 am

life without cables, congratulations, SJM! But be sure to put a security password on your wireless account, or anybody near enough can use your bandwidth.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat December 12th, 2009, 5:48 am

[quote=""MLE""]life without cables, congratulations, SJM! But be sure to put a security password on your wireless account, or anybody near enough can use your bandwidth.[/quote]

Don't know how to do that yet.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat December 12th, 2009, 6:03 am

It differs from one service provider to the next. Ask yours, they'll tell you. For all I know (the dh handles all things techie) some wireless networks may not need passwords for security.

Return to “Chat”