Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat November 21st, 2009, 7:49 pm

I go dragged off to see 2012 by my daughter today. I'd not heard of the film and didn't know what it was about. Well, I enjoyed it, brilliant special effects and the plus was John Cusack suddenly appearing in it. It's a very long film, though. My daughter seems to think that the world will indeed end in 2012, this according to her Geography lessons! :eek: :rolleyes: What do they teach them?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 12:29 am

A lot of people think the world will end in 2012, partly because that's when the Mayan calendar ends. Personally I think the significance of the Mayan calendar ending with 2012 is that they stopped working on it before they got to 2013.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 12:56 am

2012 was better/different than I thought it would be and I was very entertained by the problem solving in the plot as the earth is falling apart! The effects were pretty good. Perhaps the Mayans just decided to take a break with the calculations and never got a chance to finish up. ;)

I saw An Education while I was in town yesterday. Loved Carey Mulligan's and Peter Sarsgaard's performances. Especially the clothes and makeup for the 1961 setting (my birth year)! Very good film.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 1:54 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Waiting for The Women from the '30s to show up, we watched Dan in Real Life, which was not as funny as I'd hoped but still pretty good.

In the middle of Charlie Wilson's War. Tom Hanks makes a pretty good Texan.[/quote]

I found that film fascinating to watch -- it helped me to understand a lot of why we're in the mess that we are in Afghanistan. And yes, Tom Hanks was wonderful in that one, he is one of the few actors out there that relies on skill rather than good looks to do his job.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 2:02 am

The 2012 theory has been around for a while, and its really a crock. If you look at the Mayan calendar, you understand that they are not saying the world will end, but that the world will change. And thats assuming that you can believe lock stock and barrel a religion from thousands of years ago. Oh, wait....Anyway, David said he was impressed with the special effects and thought it a good movie, but you'd have to be really out there, or very young, to think it had any basis in truth.

Loved Charlie's War, should be watched by everyone involved in foriegn policy, a great lesson in unintended consequences, and of leaving a task unfinished. One wonders what would have happened if our country had stuck around after the russians left.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 2:05 am

I recently had a thought about the date of the "end", Dec 21, 2012. Well should be we bother buying Christmas gifts? I figured if we bought gifts and the world doesn't end, we have the gifts and if the world does end, then it isn't going to matter anyway if we wasted money cause we won't be here to worry about it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun November 22nd, 2009, 10:46 am

LOL. My husband had a bet with my daughter last night, as she's sort of convinced herself that the world is going to end. :rolleyes: :eek: If she's right, she gets all his money, etc, but if he's right, he gets her mobile phone, computer, games, etc. Of course, if she wins, she won't need the money and if he wins, well.........! I think she got a bit caught out there! :p :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 2:20 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]A lot of people think the world will end in 2012, partly because that's when the Mayan calendar ends. Personally I think the significance of the Mayan calendar ending with 2012 is that they stopped working on it before they got to 2013.[/quote]

Very funny!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 2:31 am

"Gone With the Wind", it made Harm cry, good sign :D

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 5:08 am

Troy... it was on telly last night.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”