Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon November 9th, 2009, 1:53 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]With everything that is going on I am starting to feel physically sick. Today the police have been, the locks have been repaired, tomorrow the window gets fixed, but my emergency money has all been used and I don't know how I am going to make it through to pay day.

And I still have to decide whether I am going to say anything to the father of the boy who I 'know' it is. No proof yet that it was him, have to wait to see if there is a match for finger prints but I know it was him.[/quote]

I am so sorry to hear about this. And to think I was furious just because some unknown person keeps dumping their rubbish (empty cigarette packets, screwed up tissues) in my recycling box. If that's the worst thing in my week I have nothing to complain about.

I hope the fingerprints will prove a match. At least you have some evidence. When the top of the sundial got stolen from my father's garden (doesn't sound too bad but we were pretty upset because the sundial was an original feature and had been there since 1905 when the house was built) the police said they knew exactly who was to blame but couldn't do anything about it as there was no evidence.

Would your bank authorise a short-term overdraft? This should certainly count as an emergency situation.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon November 9th, 2009, 3:47 pm

*hugs*

I hope they catch the person responsible for it this time. You should be able to feel safe in your own home.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu November 12th, 2009, 11:22 pm

This article.

It actually made me feel physically ill. This woman killed and tortured defenseless dogs, and she forced her children to do the same, and now her attorney has called it a "low level offense?!"

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned she is a monster and she needs to be put away. For life.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu November 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm

So sorry to hear of your scare, Diamondlil. I had my house invaded years ago while I was away, and it's a dreadful and frightening feeling. Take good care! The scare does fade with time, but after my incident, I installed a house alarm.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri November 13th, 2009, 1:43 am

Oh Diamondlil, I feel so awful for you! I hope the police catch whoever did this and throw the book at them. This is a horrible situation for you to be in. I just hope it gets resolved soon, and in your favour.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri November 13th, 2009, 8:28 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]This article.

It actually made me feel physically ill. This woman killed and tortured defenseless dogs, and she forced her children to do the same, and now her attorney has called it a "low level offense?!"

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned she is a monster and she needs to be put away. For life.[/quote]

That's awful, CW, very upsetting. She definitely needs a stronger punishment than the one she got. I hate to hear of cruelty to animals (or to any living creature). I can't understand what people get out of it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 16th, 2009, 4:04 am

Western Washington is being hit with 2 wind storms tonight/over night and while it hasn't hit Vashon yet, it might. So if I disappear for a day or more, it's because we have no power or internet. I still get nervous about wind storms after the big one of Dec 2006 that left us and many others without power for days. Sigh!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon November 16th, 2009, 3:26 pm

I HOPE this is the worst news of my day: $500+ car repairs on our minivan. Preferable to breaking down with four kids and a dog in the middle of winter, but it means major cutbacks (no more books for a while). May have to scale back Christmas and two birthdays.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue December 8th, 2009, 8:55 pm

We have got a Blizzard Warning. 10 to 16 inches of snow expected and winds gusting. We should be ok. It's snowing a bit like it has been all day. The worst is expected to be overnight.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue December 8th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Winter storm watch coming our way tonight. We had our 1st snowfall here in the DC area on Saturday.

Return to “Chat”