Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 11:54 pm

OH, that sounds promising SPB!

Public holiday here... for a horse race! Don't know of many other places where you get a day off just for a race!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 8:25 am

Speaking of a horse race, my horse in the office sweep won, so I get some cash when I go to work tomorrow! I will have to use it to buy a book for the person who won the book sweep I was entered into, but that's okay. I should still end up in front!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Rachael H
Scribbler

Post by Rachael H » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 10:13 am

My eldest went back to school today and I have survived half term pretty unscathed, despite various play dates resulting in up to six chidren (under the age of 8) in the house.

I can actually see floor space!

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 4:31 pm

Beautiful Fall morning...Feeling fine after the Phillies win game five.....

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 7:35 pm

Last night I went to a delightful talk by Sarah Dunant at Stanford. She discussed the new historiography and how all the detail about ordinary lives that is becoming available informs the story.

She talked about the research that went into her book, Sacred Hearts, and the sometimes tense interaction between the historian and the historical novelist.

Really fascinating evening.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed November 4th, 2009, 5:24 pm

MLE - Sounds like a great night out!

Best thing today for me, was I was given a promotion that is effective tomorrow! It has been 2 years in the works of extra work and hours, but I think in the long run, it will be worth it.
Andrea

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed November 4th, 2009, 5:36 pm

[quote=""zsigandr""]I was given a promotion that is effective tomorrow! [/quote]

Congratulations!!! Well deserved, I'm sure.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 4th, 2009, 7:45 pm

[quote=""zsigandr""]

Best thing today for me, was I was given a promotion that is effective tomorrow! It has been 2 years in the works of extra work and hours, but I think in the long run, it will be worth it.[/quote]

Congratulations!

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed November 4th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Congrats Zisgandr!

Glad you enjoyed Sarah Dunant's talk MLE. Does she live in America?

My best thing today was seeing the draft of the book cover for To Defy a King.
I think I can safely say Wow! They told me they were going for a different look and they have. It's gorgeous. Can't show anyone yet because it's still under wraps. It does have certain similarities with things that are out and about now, but at the same time it is very different indeed - and it works.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu November 5th, 2009, 6:12 am

Congrats, Zsig! Best things here: I am going to talk to lots of interesting people for a philanthropy article; my agent & I have agreed on the topic of my next NF book; I got my passport back safely. (I had my wallet stolen at a book party last night -- now you know just how broke bankers really are... -- and it came back to me without the cash and cards but with the passport. Alas, the thief hung on to my library card. Go figure.)

Return to “Chat”