Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who's seen a ghost?

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue October 21st, 2008, 4:03 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Pat, did you ever figure out who the man was? He must have been from a time before the hedge was planted.

[/quote]

The hedge was there as long as we could remember. It was a boundry on a field that went down to the river. At first we thought it was after an accident, car in hedge type one, but the car was facing dad. He did ask around after, but no one could help! Spoooooooooky!

I had heard of the Roman soldiers before, must have been on a trip to York!
Last edited by diamondlil on Tue October 21st, 2008, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 21st, 2008, 7:59 pm

[quote=""EC2""]What a brilliant experience Madeleine, especially as you both saw her![/quote]

Yes I think if I'd been on my own I would have put it down to a trick of the light.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue October 21st, 2008, 8:12 pm

[quote=""pat""]The hedge was there as long as we could remember. It was a boundry on a field that went down to the river. At first we thought it was after an accident, car in hedge type one, but the car was facing dad. He did ask around after, but no one could help! Spoooooooooky!

[/quote]

It's annoying when you come to a dead end isn't it?
One of my dh's other experiences was to do with what was there before. He was driving home in the late evening - about 11pm at night and taking the turn off the main dual carriageway onto the road leading into our village. The turning had been altered about a year previously to widen it, put in traffic lights and make it easier access. As he approached the turning he saw a cyclist in front of him. The traffic lights were on red and he had to wait, but they are quick change. By the time he got onto the village road, there was no sign of the cyclist. I should explain that the village road runs for about three quarters of a mile before it hits driveways and housing, but it does have a footpath and street lighting with fields beyond that. So unless the cyclist had dived into a prickly thorn hedge, where'd he go? He'd have had to pedal like the blazes to reach even the first driveway in the village before dh caught up.
Dh thought about it and realised that the pattern the cyclist had taken in his riding as he made his turn off the dual carriageway was that of the old road, not the new one.
That's a lot less spectacular than his previous experience, and just a bid odd rather than downright weird. His other experience, briefly, was when we stayed in a holiday home in Cornwall - an old schoolhouse. DH saw hovering balls of light above the bed on several nights. I refused to come out from under the covers! Several of the rooms were icy cold too, even in mid August.
Last edited by EC2 on Tue October 21st, 2008, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Wed October 22nd, 2008, 12:24 am

I've never seen a ghost -- but am open to the possibility -- however, every time we've lost one of our dogs, we have a few weeks of "hearing" them around the house -- we have a several dogs but they all sound different when they are walking -- and the rattle of their dogtags sound different. When we lost our beagle-mix several years ago, I heard her one night -- the exact moment I heard her, my husband, who was right beside me, reacted as well -- I asked him if he heard Casey and he said, "yeah" and that was that. Summer before last, we lost our old greyhound, Dax. He was a very tall dog and, when I was sitting at the computer, he would come up and "nose" me rather high up on my arm. Several times since he's died, I have felt that nose and actually reached over to pat who I thought was probably our other big (but not so tall) dog. But there was nobody there. Dax? I like to think he's just checking in.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed October 28th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Reviving this thread for Hallowe'en 2009.

The only ghost story at all interesting I have to tell is second-hand from my mother because I was too small at the time to remember the events. Basically my parents, my brother (a baby) and me (about 3 and a half) rented a cottage in Wales with my godmother and her husband and their young daughter. Where in Wales, I have no idea. We spent lots of hols later in the Lleyn Peninsula, but I think this was somewhere different.

The odd stuff started when they got there - the cottage looked like it had been vacated in a hurry. In fact there were still things on the dining table, as if the last tenants hadn't even bothered to finish their meal. There was someone who was supposed to have come in and cleaned, but she obviously hadn't (and my mother told me she didn't blame her). So they had to clean everything up themselves and settle in.

Nothing too alarming happened the next day - only stuff like the sitting-room door opening itself no matter how often it was shut - but it could have been a draught. So my mother was quite happy to stay in when everyone else went out for a walk. Hearing voices from downstairs, she thought they'd returned and went down to find the house - still empty.

What alarmed her more than this kind of stuff and the generally unpleasant atmosphere were the odd lights in the bedroom - like energy balls. And it was especially alarming that they always seemed to be over my brother's cot. My mother tried moving the cot, and guess what, the light balls moved too. That worried her so much - it was before my brother's christening - that she took him downstairs and christened him herself at the kitchen sink to try to give him some kind of protection.

But the night wasn't over yet. Everyone was woken up by very loud noises from the cellar - as if chains were being dragged across the floor. The men went down to investigate: nothing to see. But as soon as they came back up, it started again. Finally my mother and my godmother came rushing out of their rooms at the exact same time both saying they couldn't stand it any longer and they had to leave. So everyone packed up the car and departed in haste.

One more thing. My mother went shopping in the village and bought a large mirror which we still have. The shop owner asked where she was staying and when she told her seemed very interested and as if she was about to tell her a story - only my mother decided she didn't want to hear it and hastily left the shop! I've always wondered what she would have heard!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed October 28th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I've had the unique distinction of living in two haunted houses. I was a baby for the first one. Oh wait, maybe I wasn't born for that one. But anyway.

The house my parents still live in: Mom used to hear a child's footsteps running upstairs while we were all at school. Found out later that a baby had died there and her parents hadn't really dealt with her death. We knew the baby's grandmother and arranged a little memorial service at her grave. Never heard from her again.

Although, in the same house I would sometimes feel a presence that bothered me, or soothed me. And one time I distinctly remember sitting in my room on my bed and suddenly the light switch flipped with a loud click. That scared the heck out of me.

After my brother-in-law died, my husband saw him once. And my sister (who was engaged to him) slept in his room that night and felt his presence--he laid down on the bed beside her. I was there when he died, but fortunately I never saw him or any other ghosts.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed October 28th, 2009, 11:02 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]
The house my parents still live in: Mom used to hear a child's footsteps running upstairs while we were all at school. Found out later that a baby had died there and her parents hadn't really dealt with her death. We knew the baby's grandmother and arranged a little memorial service at her grave. Never heard from her again.
[/quote]

It was a nice idea to do something like that. A friend of mine bought a house which turned out to be haunted, I asked was she going to do something to exorcise the ghost but she said it might detract from the house's value! Anyway she sold it soon after that so presumably the ghost is still in residence!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 28th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Barbara Erskine talks abohttp://www.barbara-erskine.co.uk/ghosts.htmut ghosts at her new website
Les proz e les vassals

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed October 28th, 2009, 11:28 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Barbara Erskine talks abohttp://www.barbara-erskine.co.uk/ghosts.htmut ghosts at her new website[/quote]

BE is obviously very attuned to this type of thing. Funny how some people are and some people aren't. I remember reading in a book about the Mitfords that they moved to a new house which was haunted by ghostly footsteps on the terrace - only half the family could hear them, the other half couldn't.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 28th, 2009, 11:46 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]BE is obviously very attuned to this type of thing. Funny how some people are and some people aren't. I remember reading in a book about the Mitfords that they moved to a new house which was haunted by ghostly footsteps on the terrace - only half the family could hear them, the other half couldn't.[/quote]

I think so. I've had a few very minor experiences (that's if you count John Marshal chucking bits of pottery at you as minor!) but I know people like Barbara Erskine who have experiences all the time. I'm sure a lot of it boils down to actual electro magnetic tuning and the ability to have your own vibrations at the level of the entity's. Alison can see and sense things I can't. My daughter in law the same, although she is scared by the notion and pushes it aside. So for e.g. she and Alison both had the same response to that room in the B&B in York, but I felt nothing.
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “Chat”