Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue October 27th, 2009, 8:26 pm

[quote=""nona""]yes the Devil Wears Prada is based on a book, I have not read it but have heard great things about the book.[/quote]

I have read DWP a few times - love the thinly disguised Anna Wintour/Vogue dish. I like the film too & especially Meryl Streep's performance.

Edited to say: Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt were great too.
Last edited by Miss Moppet on Tue October 27th, 2009, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue October 27th, 2009, 11:55 pm

[quote=""Sheramy""]Last night on cable I watched "I've loved you for so long," a French film with Kristen Scott Thomas. [/quote]

Oh, I loved this movie! One of my favorites and it's a crime that she was not nominated for her role. It's an exceptional performance by an actress at the top of her game.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed October 28th, 2009, 12:01 am

[quote=""nona""]let me know what you think of Cheri I've seem a trailer on it and want to watch it but am slightly hesitant.[/quote]

It's marvelous; the belle epoque costumes, a very witty script from Christopher Hampton (who also wrote "Dangerous Liasions") and, naturally, the radiant Michelle Pfieffer as the aging courtesan, grappling with the unexpected complications of her love affair with a much younger man. I loved it; the story has a sly irreverance to it that is misleading, as the underlying themes about our ability to sacrifice ourselves for love are quite serious.

Plus, the superb Kathy Bates as the young man's mother - an ex-courtesan herself - perfectly captures the frenetic and false solicitous maternity of a supremely self-absorbed and selfish woman.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed October 28th, 2009, 5:01 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I have read DWP a few times - love the thinly disguised Anna Wintour/Vogue dish. I like the film too & especially Meryl Streep's performance.

Edited to say: Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt were great too.[/quote]

Will have to see if I can find it from the library.

Umm... Saw "Where the Wild Things Are" on Sunday night.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed October 28th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Watched The Magnificent Seven for the first time. I was surpised by how much I enjoyed it. One of the best scores ever written. After watching the "making of" feature, I'm determined to try and find a copy of The Seven Samurai.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed October 28th, 2009, 9:08 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Watched The Magnificent Seven for the first time. I was surpised by how much I enjoyed it. One of the best scores ever written. After watching the "making of" feature, I'm determined to try and find a copy of The Seven Samurai.[/quote]

I saw this on my local PBS station about a month or so ago.
Two memorable lines for me:
"How many did you bring?"
"Enough."

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Fri October 30th, 2009, 2:47 am

Watched “Easy Virtue” a couple of days ago - my, Jessica Biel is quite a stunner and a competent actress too, I thought.

Also, saw the first half of the latest “Wuthering Heights” on tv last weekend. I have mentally labelled it the “tame version”. Hope the second half ramps up the insanity a bit :eek:

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Fri October 30th, 2009, 8:24 am

'Love Actually.' Very silly, but very funny and heart-warming as well!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 30th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Thrilled to see that I've Loved You for so Long is finally being shown on Sky Movies, now all I have to do is remember to record it.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 30th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Vera Drake - last night on TV. Superb film. I have it in my collection but it's gone awol, so this was a good chance to see it again.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”