Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Television Season

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 13th, 2008, 4:42 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"Merlin" is going to be airing on NBC eventually, when I find out more I'll let people know.

SM[/quote]

I think Merlin is starting on BBC1 next week, looks quite good.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat September 13th, 2008, 5:06 pm

I think I plan to download it instead of waiting for it on NBC.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat September 13th, 2008, 11:27 pm

I confess, I like some of the reality tv out there, such as Project Runway and America's Toughest Jobs. More than a year now I was busy watching a Korean historical drama on one of the foriegn channels that was pretty good and impressive -- it concluded last Saturday and now my weekends are free again. And of course, House starts up again soon. I don't know what PBS has in store for Masterpiece yet, but it's usually pretty good.

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sun September 14th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I'm really looking forward to Tess of the D'Urbervilles tonight on the Beeb. I bought the ITV version a few months ago, which I loved, so it will be interesting to see if the Beeb's version is as good. But then again, they have a great reputation with the Classics. Can't wait. It's up against a new Poirot on the other side, so I'll have to dig out a video. It's so frustrating that they put the quality stuff against each other, when there's not much on at other times.

I'm also loving Lost in Austen although I'm finding it a bit confusing in parts. Of course it doesn't make sense, after all a 21st century girl has entered the fictional world of a novel, so it's hardly fair to nitpick at things. However, I did find myself thinking, where did she get the paracetomol from, and the make-up? She didn't have them on her when she entered the world, or did she, did I miss something?

Watched one of my favourite films last night on tv, Shakespeare in Love. Great film.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun September 14th, 2008, 2:00 pm

I'd love to see Tess of the D'Urbervilles too. But I dont have that channel. :(

Telynor you are not alone. I also like project runway, Deadliest Catch, flip that house and house hunters :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun September 14th, 2008, 5:19 pm

I've been downloading "Lost in Austen", I haven't watched Ep 2 yet. There's been new Poirot's?! I miss that show, I haven't seen an new ones in ages! It's still David Suchet right?

The only reality shows I watch are Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol (but I'm not sure if I'm watching it this year or not), and Greatest American Dog.

PS. Tely, I love "House", Hugh Laurie is so wonderful in the role, and very sexy but only if he keeps the stubble, without it, eh not as much.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sun September 14th, 2008, 7:53 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I've been downloading "Lost in Austen", I haven't watched Ep 2 yet. There's been new Poirot's?! I miss that show, I haven't seen an new ones in ages! It's still David Suchet right?

SM[/quote]

Yes, it's still David Suchet, and I believe we have 3 new ones to look forward to. Incidentally, he's the subject of this week's Who Do You Think You Are? which is a fascinating series on family history. I don't know if you get it outside of the UK, but if you can take a look, it's a really interesting programme, tracing back family roots. There's often not a dry eye in sight, when people find out their lineage.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 14th, 2008, 9:47 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]

PS. Tely, I love "House", Hugh Laurie is so wonderful in the role, and very sexy but only if he keeps the stubble, without it, eh not as much.

SM[/quote]

I'll gleefully watch Hugh Laurie in just about anything -- he was on Jay Leno the other night, and mentioned that he has an awful time with some of the technical terms that he uses in "House". Have you seen him in the "Jeeves and Wooster" adaptations? A scream.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun September 14th, 2008, 11:18 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]I'll gleefully watch Hugh Laurie in just about anything -- he was on Jay Leno the other night, and mentioned that he has an awful time with some of the technical terms that he uses in "House". Have you seen him in the "Jeeves and Wooster" adaptations? A scream.[/quote]

I have his Leno on DVR, will watch later today. I really haven't watched much of his previous work because I just prefer his look as "House", but I did love "Blackadder" but not for Hugh.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon September 15th, 2008, 11:07 pm

"New Amsterdam" (FOX) won't be coming back in the fall. I liked the history bits about NYC.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”