Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Help! Need good HF book on Egypt

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 1st, 2008, 4:32 pm

Are there any about the early Egyptologists
Hmm... I would be interested in that if there are. I'm guessing by early you're thinking of Champollion and others that would be pre-WWI.

The only book I can think of is Arthur Phillips' The Egyptologist. How you react to that book might depend on whether you can digest some pretty unlikeable characters. It has quite a vicious bite to it, but the unreliable narrator angle is quite interesting as is some of the history leading up to WWI. If I remember correctly, Howard Carter has a minor part in it.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat December 6th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Cecelia Holland wrote a novel about Howard Carter called
"The Valley of the Kings"

Just remembered, Howard Carter also features in Christian Jacq's "Tutankhamun Affair"
Jacq also wrote a novel about Champollion called "Champollion the Egyptian"
Last edited by annis on Sat December 6th, 2008, 5:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 6th, 2008, 8:07 pm

If she likes a bit of mystery as well there are the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SusannaG
Scribbler

Post by SusannaG » Thu June 25th, 2009, 9:43 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]If she likes a bit of mystery as well there are the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.[/quote]

I find those great fun.
South Carolina is too large for a mental asylum, and too small for a republic. - James Pettigru, 1856

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Thu June 25th, 2009, 10:50 pm

The Elizabeth Peters books are wonderful! There's also Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. It's a YA book and written in the 60's, I think, so some the historical theories it's based on have since been discredited--but still such a good read!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 29th, 2009, 4:07 am

(Just found this thread. Love Egypt, so had to offer some input.)

Pauline Gedge's books are very good. But I think they're all out of print now.

Hand of Isis by Jo Graham came out this year. It's set during the time of Cleopatra VII. The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George is pretty good, but rather long. Paul Doherty, Lauren Haney, and Lynda S. Robinson have mystery series set in the New Kingdom. Oh, and Elizabeth Peters series is wonderful. I think there is something like 18 books out now.

SusannaG
Scribbler

Post by SusannaG » Thu October 1st, 2009, 6:30 pm

Growing up, I also loved The Lost Queen of Egypt, by Lucille Morrison. I think it was published in the 1930s, and is long out of print, alas.
South Carolina is too large for a mental asylum, and too small for a republic. - James Pettigru, 1856

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu October 1st, 2009, 10:36 pm

If you're looking for Pauline Gedge's novels, try Amazon.ca. She's a Canadian author, and they are still in print up there (or at least, still available in Toronto bookstores). My faves of hers are the Hatshepsut novel, followed by the trilogy and then the two Ramses II novels (romanticized, true...) Just avoid The Seer of Egypt & The Twice-Born -- not nearly as good as her others.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 1:19 am

The Hatshepsut book is my favourite of Gedge's. Judith Tarr had a few Egypt novels. I think those might be out of print too. There is Throne of Isis (Cleopatra VII), King and Goddess (Hatshepsut), Lord of the Two Lands,and Pillar of Fire (Amenhotep IV).

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri October 2nd, 2009, 4:23 am

Not a recommendation as it was DNF (did not finish) for me, but if you like Wilbur Smith, the River God is set in ancient Egypt.

Return to “Ancient”