Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon September 28th, 2009, 3:31 am

If we all stopped buying books the economy would get worse, have you thought of that? :D

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon September 28th, 2009, 3:40 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I keep telling myself that too - and then ask myself, "why?" They are still cheaper than shoes! :) And they look so nice on my bookcases...[/quote]

There is nothing that drives me battier than seeing a bookcase stuffed with knickknacks when it could be covered with books!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon September 28th, 2009, 3:59 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]If we all stopped buying books the economy would get worse, have you thought of that? :D

SM[/quote]

Good point. But I need to stop ordering them online, and visit my stores. :o

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon September 28th, 2009, 9:45 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]There is nothing that drives me battier than seeing a bookcase stuffed with knickknacks when it could be covered with books![/quote]

Agreed! I have a bookshelf where someone tried to put some china figurines; I put them on the top of the bookcase so I could put books on the shelves!

Speaking of book buying, though, Juliet Dymoke's stock is up: I too bought a copy of Henry of the High Rock this afternoon.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 29th, 2009, 12:07 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]Agreed! I have a bookshelf where someone tried to put some china figurines; I put them on the top of the bookcase so I could put books on the shelves!

Speaking of book buying, though, Juliet Dymoke's stock is up: I too bought a copy of Henry of the High Rock this afternoon.[/quote]

There are certain things in life one can count on. The sun will rise in the east and fall in the west, the moon comes out at night and first and foremost when I see a new post on this thread I assured it's from Kasthu or Nona :) :p ;) :D

(sorry, couldn't resist).

I'm hoping to get Henry via PBS or Bookmooch but I'm afraid EC's blog post isn't helping matters any :rolleyes:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue September 29th, 2009, 12:25 am

I was looking for a book on Amazon that had an essay I wanted in it. One Amazon seller wanted $1.00, the other wanted $88.00. Naturally, I ordered the $1 copy and held my breath, hoping it was the right book. Got it today and it was fine!

Also got a copy of Wolf Hall in the mail today, plus a notice that Arlene Okerlund's biography of Elizabeth of York is on the way.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Tue September 29th, 2009, 12:59 am

Just got Red Adam's Lady through ILL at my library. At least I resisted buying this one - couldn't find one at a reasonable price. Actually buying books is my one guilty pleasure - what I have to do is have them delivered to my work address so I can sneak them into the house without my husband spying them. He just can't understand why I need so many! Do you think he will notice if I buy and fill another bookcase????

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue September 29th, 2009, 2:51 am

"Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson" by Lyndsay Faye (Sherlock Holmes story, of course not by Doyle).

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue September 29th, 2009, 3:15 am

Purchased myself a paperback copy of Nefertiti by Michelle Moran as an early b-day present.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue September 29th, 2009, 3:50 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]Agreed! I have a bookshelf where someone tried to put some china figurines; I put them on the top of the bookcase so I could put books on the shelf![/quote]

Don't be silly! You can put books on the top of the shelf as well! :p Get rid of the chinas! :D
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Return to “Archives”