Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Thu September 11th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell, book 3 of his Saxon series. I've become a big Cornwell fan.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 11th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I've just finished The Greatest Knight. Found it a bit difficult to get into at first and sometimes had to look back to remind myself what part of England or France I was in, but once I got into it I was engrossed. It was fascinating reading about Eleanor of Aquitaine too, what a lady. I wish my school history books had been this entertaining!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu September 11th, 2008, 9:11 pm

I loved Emma Donoghue's Slammerkin, but have not read Kissing the Witch. It sounds good!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu September 11th, 2008, 11:52 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I've just finished The Greatest Knight. Found it a bit difficult to get into at first and sometimes had to look back to remind myself what part of England or France I was in, but once I got into it I was engrossed. It was fascinating reading about Eleanor of Aquitaine too, what a lady. I wish my school history books had been this entertaining![/quote]

I think it helps to have some background of the time period when reading this one, because not much is explained. Having read all of Penman books helped a lot, so I didn't find it difficult. I still wish there was a family tree, and a map (I agree - I knew what part of England they were in, but my geography of France is horrible, and I needed a map!)

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:25 am

I have started EC's The Winter Mantle.

EC, you bring characters to life! I love your writing!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri September 12th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Finished Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife: Beguilement last night -- and it's a terrific read. Dag is definately a hunk...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 12th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Telynor, Lois McMaster Bujold is a favorite of mine as well.
I particularly enjoyed the Curse of Chalion series
1. The Curse of Chalion
2. Paladin of Souls
3. The Hallowed Hunt

but really liked the Sharing Knife books as well. I've read the first two. There are another two in the works, apparently.
1. Beguilement
2. Legacy
3. Passage (2008)
4. Horizon (2009)

At the moment I'm taking time out with some unashamed historical romance- Paula Marshall's "The Astrologer's Daughter", set in London during the Restoration period, quite a bit of it at the Court of Charles II, and featuring several of what were known as the "Merry Gang", including the unpleasant Duke of Buckingham.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:06 pm

I have been getting that giddy 'I wanna buy a book' feeling and after the Welsh Triology and Crown in Candlelight, which I should finish in the next couple days, I felt like a little romance, thought about re-reading two or three but stumbled on Kathrine Deauxville, so I ordered Blood Red Roses and Daggers of Gold, that should satisfy my romantic side.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:36 pm

[quote=""Ash""]My copy of Olivia and Jai just arrived; yikes this thing is huge! Not sure I'll be reading it quite yet, looks like a long weekend kinda read!

[/quote]

Trust me, it'll be a fast read! Just make sure you read it when you can dedicate a nice long time to it. You won't want to be disturbed! Esp. after the first 100 pages. ;)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:55 pm

ok I broke down and also bought Moonstruck by Laurie McBain, a fav romance author of mine, it's about a high society Lady at night, highwayman (or woman you might say) by night to protect family interests and the man determined to catch her...*big sigh*.

Return to “Archives”