Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu September 10th, 2009, 2:25 am

[quote=""Misfit""]As much as people carry on about not posting negative reviews and the proverbial "if you can't say anything nice" attitude, the negative review/opinion really doesn't stop you does it? It just sends you in with your eyes wide open.[/quote]

Exactly. I often find negative reviews more helpful than rave reviews: they tend to be more detailed and often I can tell that what has annoyed the reviewer won't necessarily bother me. If I do decide to read the book in spite of bad reviews my expectations are lowered and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

The whole "if you can't say anything nice" thing is ridiculous. If I paid £7.99 for a book, or even if I got it out the library but invested several hours of my life reading it, I'm going to say whatever I want.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu September 10th, 2009, 8:25 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]This is the thing. GWTW is always fresh in my mind. I've re-read it probably every year for the past 20 years. I just did this quiz to check how good my knowledge really was and I got full marks. So if RBP does indeed mess with canon facts, I am going to be chuntering all the way through it.

Still, I'm curious now.[/quote]

I think from the opinions of other GWTW hardcore fans and from the essence I recall of the novel, you probably will chunter then. I'd say you need some distance from the original and it certainly isn't as engaging as GWTW.
Re negative reviews. I like informative well thought out reviews. Gushing positive ones I ignore, the same as I ignore snide negative ones that are plain sour grapes or mean. What I want is honesty and useful information.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Thu September 10th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Fiddle-dee-dee. I'll never read either of those 'sequels.' Blasphemy, I tell you.

(She said in her Atlannnna accent.) :)
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri September 11th, 2009, 12:30 am

I've read Scarlett and found it interesting, if not GWTW (I don't think anything could ever match that). Did see the miniseries that was made with it, and found it entertaining and at least interesting with the costumes and Irish settings. Not to mention Timothy Dalton as RB. I haven't RBP, as I've heard so many unhappy things, so I doubt that I'll ever take it on.

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”