Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon September 7th, 2009, 4:32 am

Netflix doesn't have the "Black Adder Christmas Carol". Oh well.

"Duplicity", on DVD this time. Still a good movie, and Clive, yea! It's been a Clive weekend for me, Clive....mmmmm, drools.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Mon September 7th, 2009, 9:43 am

[quote=""Sheramy""]Last night on cable I watched "I've loved you for so long," a French film with Kristen Scott Thomas (who speaks French fluently) and Elsa Zylberstein (sp?). Both actresses have received big accolades for this film, and it's clear why. I really enjoyed it. Ms Thomas in particular is positively haunting. I saw the revelation at the end coming about halfway through, but it wasn't any less affecting. Highly recommended.

KST plays a woman who has just gotten out of a long stint in prison and has come to live with her sister (EZ), has to learn to put her life back together.[/quote]

Hurrah- I thought so too - one of the best films I've seen in the last 3 or 4 years. I posted about it on this thread about 3 months ago- I think!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:28 am

I think Love Actually is one of the most nauseating films I've ever seen, apart from Emma Thompson, Bill Nighy, Alan Rickman and Liam Neeson - as for Hugh Grant's storyline, let's not go there!

Tried to see "I've Loved You For So Long" at the cinema, but as it only had a run of about 1 week, I still haven't seen it. Will keep an eye out on TV.

Watched the latest X Files film last night, OK but not much of a storyline, the old chemistry is still there but it was all a bit boring really.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:57 am

Oooh, I don't know! I think Hugh Grant would make a rather fun prime minister - definitely better than the one we already have! LOL.

I enjoyed Love Actually - it made me laugh.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 7th, 2009, 1:42 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Netflix doesn't have the "Black Adder Christmas Carol". Oh well.SM[/quote]

Here is the Amazon link fwiw: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackadders-Chr ... B00004CLQ4

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon September 7th, 2009, 6:31 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Here is the Amazon link fwiw: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackadders-Chr ... B00004CLQ4[/quote]

Oh thanks, but I don't have a video player any more and that's for PAL which is the player the Brits have/had. I looked for DVD but it's all region 2, not playable on mine, oh well. I'll live :)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Mon September 7th, 2009, 8:48 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oh thanks, but I don't have a video player any more and that's for PAL which is the player the Brits have/had. I looked for DVD but it's all region 2, not playable on mine, oh well. I'll live :) SM[/quote]

Hi SM - I don't know about the States, but I got a list of codes to decode hundreds of DVD players so that they played DVDs from any region on eBay (for £1!). You might be able to do so on eBay in the States... :confused:
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 7th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Have just been watching Sergei Bodrov's "Mongol" , the story of Genghis Khan. Wow- spectacular!. Apparently this is the first in a proposed trilogy. Can't wait for the next episode.

Interview with Bodrov here

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:14 pm

[quote=""annis""]Have just been watching Sergei Bodrov's "Mongol" , the story of Genghis Khan. Wow- spectacular!. Apparently this is the first in a proposed trilogy. Can't wait for the next episode.

Interview with Bodrov here[/quote]

This film blew me away. I was enthralled from begining to end by it, and I do hope that the next films get made and released. If the quality can be kept up, they'll be a knockout.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue September 8th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Just read that Richard Curtis is going to be writing an episode for the next series of Doctor Who.....
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”