Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun September 6th, 2009, 11:02 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I looked at the cast list, you'd think with such a great cast it'd be a better movie, but even great actors can't save a bad script.

SM[/quote]

Absolutely. I didn't expect much, but even so couldn't believe how unfunny and puerile it was. If it hadn't had Richard Curtis's name attached, I don't think it would ever have got made.

Must admit, I kinda liked What Lies Beneath. It had a bit of a Hitchcock vibe going on, and I'm always a sucker for that. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Sun September 6th, 2009, 11:04 am

[quote=""Leo62""]Absolutely. I didn't expect much, but even so couldn't believe how unfunny and puerile it was. If it hadn't had Richard Curtis's name attached, I don't think it would ever have got made. [/quote]

I think that's the problem - see my post which I must have been typing as you were typing yours!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun September 6th, 2009, 11:05 am

[quote=""parthianbow""]Richard Curtis can only make one type of film - and after Four Weddings, they've all gone downhill - IMO.

Leo 62 - hilarious one line review![/quote]

I agree, once you've watched a few of his films you notice the same old jokes keep coming up, same with his TV series - same old jokes whether it's Vicar of Dibley, Blackadder or Thin Blue Line, and they crossover into his films too! :(
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 6th, 2009, 1:27 pm

I just looked up his movie list: Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones's Diary, Notting Hill, The Boat That Rocked and Love Actually, as well as the hit sitcoms Blackadder, Mr. Bean and The Vicar of Dibley. I loved Weddings, Notting Hill, and Blackadder, but you are right, same jokes in all. They seemed to work for me in those, but in Love Actually and Bridget Jones, they fell flat (tho Emma Thompsons role in Love Actually was brillant). And Mr Bean was downright unwatchable.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun September 6th, 2009, 2:03 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]I think that's the problem - see my post which I must have been typing as you were typing yours![/quote]
Yes and I completely agree - except that in my book he's been going downhill since Blackadder. ;)
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Sun September 6th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Last night on cable I watched "I've loved you for so long," a French film with Kristen Scott Thomas (who speaks French fluently) and Elsa Zylberstein (sp?). Both actresses have received big accolades for this film, and it's clear why. I really enjoyed it. Ms Thomas in particular is positively haunting. I saw the revelation at the end coming about halfway through, but it wasn't any less affecting. Highly recommended.

KST plays a woman who has just gotten out of a long stint in prison and has come to live with her sister (EZ), has to learn to put her life back together.
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun September 6th, 2009, 6:14 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I just looked up his movie list: Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones's Diary, Notting Hill, The Boat That Rocked and Love Actually, as well as the hit sitcoms Blackadder, Mr. Bean and The Vicar of Dibley. I loved Weddings, Notting Hill, and Blackadder, but you are right, same jokes in all. They seemed to work for me in those, but in Love Actually and Bridget Jones, they fell flat (tho Emma Thompsons role in Love Actually was brillant). And Mr Bean was downright unwatchable.[/quote]

I love all the movies you mentioned except "Rocked", which I haven't seen. I also really enjoyed "Blackadder", except for the one set in WWI. Never watched "Mr. Bean" but it looked like it would annoy the heck out of me, and never saw "Vicar", either.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun September 6th, 2009, 10:53 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]

Must admit, I kinda liked What Lies Beneath. It had a bit of a Hitchcock vibe going on, and I'm always a sucker for that. :D [/quote]

The whole bathtub theme was very well done. Unfortunately it wasn't as neatly plotted as a Hitchcock, and the third act was predictable in places.

Still I enjoyed it, I'd definitely watch it again.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 7th, 2009, 12:41 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I love all the movies you mentioned except "Rocked", which I haven't seen. I also really enjoyed "Blackadder", except for the one set in WWI. Never watched "Mr. Bean" but it looked like it would annoy the heck out of me, and never saw "Vicar", either.

SM[/quote]

The problem with the WWI one was that it was just too recent in our history, still, and so it was hard to laugh even at the irony of the thing. But I still liked it. BTW have you ever seen Bladkadder Scrooge? Second part sort of falls apart, but worth a watch.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon September 7th, 2009, 12:48 am

[quote=""Ash""]The problem with the WWI one was that it was just too recent in our history, still, and so it was hard to laugh even at the irony of the thing. But I still liked it. BTW have you ever seen Bladkadder Scrooge? Second part sort of falls apart, but worth a watch.[/quote]

No, I've never heard of the Scrooge one, hmm, interesting.

It's really hard at times to reconcile Hugh Laurie's characters from Blackadder with his character on "House". As "House" I find his looks very attractive, but as himself and his other works not so much. He's a great actor though.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”