Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat September 5th, 2009, 12:01 pm

"Ash" wrote:Yes, thats it. I know very little about that time period, but have always been curious about these two queens (esp Mary, as I have conveted her doll house for years). Will I be totally lost if I only know about the the Restoration, but little about what followed?

The Queen Mary with the doll house was the wife of King George V. She was a Queen Consort or wife of a king, lived from 1867-1953, and is the grandmother of the present Queen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Mary%27s_Dolls%27_House

The Queen Mary in Ungrateful Daughters is the daughter of King James II. She lived from 1662-1694. She co-reigned as Queen Mary II with her husband and first cousin King William III. They are the William and Mary who founded The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia (my son is an alumni).

Both daughters of King James II in Ungrateful Daughters were Queens Regnant or ruling queens. Mary II became queen after her father was overthrown during the Glorious Revolution. Parliament offered the crown to Mary and her husband jointly. Her husband, William of Orange was the son of Mary, Princess Royal, daughter of Charles I. Therefore, William was third in the line of succession after his wife Mary and Mary's sister Anne. Anne became queen after the deaths of both William and Mary.
Last edited by Susan on Sat September 5th, 2009, 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sat September 5th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Yesterday evening before the theatre (The Mousetrap), I ducked into a secondhand bookshop on Charing Cross road and picked up an old copy of a collection of MR James ghost stories.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat September 5th, 2009, 1:58 pm

"Kasthu" wrote:Yesterday evening before the theatre (The Mousetrap), I ducked into a secondhand bookshop on Charing Cross road and picked up an old copy of a collection of MR James ghost stories.

:) :)
You got room in your luggage for all those books? You're starting to remind me of the time I went to Robson Street in Vancouver BC (think Rodeo Drive of the north). All those furs, shoes and chocolates and what do I buy? Books of course.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat September 5th, 2009, 2:35 pm

"Susan" wrote:The Queen Mary in Ungrateful Daughters is the daughter of King James II. She lived from 1662-1694. She co-reigned as Queen Mary II with her husband and first cousin King William III. They are the William and Mary who founded The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia (my son is an alumni)..

Oops. Um, can we say dumb American? Thanks for the clarification on that

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sat September 5th, 2009, 2:47 pm

"Ash" wrote:Oops. Um, can we say dumb American? Thanks for the clarification on that

No, don't say that about yourself! There are quite a few Marys and it is easy to get confused. The royals weren't always creative with their names.

Mary I: daughter of Henry VIII
Mary II: daughter of James II

Mary, Queen of Scots

Mary Beatrice of Modena, second wife of James II
Mary of Teck: wife of George V

Mary, daughter of King Stephen
Mary, daughter of Edward I
Mary, daughter of Edward III
Mary, daughter of Edward IV
Mary Tudor: daughter of Henry VII
Mary, Princess Royal, daughter of Charles I
Mary, daughter of George II
Mary, daughter of George III
Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, granddaughter of George III
Mary, Princess Royal, daughter of George V
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun September 6th, 2009, 11:49 am

I think the Queen Marys are very confusing. I remember having an argument about Mary Queen of Scots and Mary Tudor with my cousin as a child! I've forgotten exactly what it was about but I know I was the one who was correct. LOL. I can remember getting quite irate about it all.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun September 6th, 2009, 11:55 am

"Vanessa" wrote:I think the Queen Marys are very confusing. I remember having an argument about Mary Queen of Scots and Mary Tudor with my cousin as a child! I've forgotten exactly what it was about but I know I was the one who was correct. LOL. I can remember getting quite irate about it all.

And there are two Mary Tudors: the daughter of Henry VII and the daughter of Henry VIII!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Mon September 7th, 2009, 1:09 am

Ordered some Anne Easter Smith books used online. And some other books from across the pond. :)

TLee
Reader

Postby TLee » Mon September 7th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Just pre-ordered To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick. Only 241 more days to go!

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Mon September 7th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Today I went to London's South Bank book market and bought Mary Reilly, by Valierie Martin (couldn't locate a copy for ages and then I come here and find three in one place!) and Vainglory, by Geraldine McCaughrean. EC, didn't you recommend this on your blog at one point? It was literally the first book I picked up when I got there!

Return to “Archives”