Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 10th, 2008, 3:31 pm

LOL. That's what it sounds like in my head, though - it's just the way it's written. Sort of garbled English. I have to read it twice to understand what it's saying sometimes. Flowers don't blossom, they blow in this book. I just can't get a Bristolian accent out of my head when I'm reading it, even though it's Shropshire. :o :D Perhaps it's country talk.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu September 11th, 2008, 3:06 am

Forks, Washington.

About to get embroiled in vampire and werewolf politics I suspect.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Thu September 11th, 2008, 10:14 am

Nowhere at the moment. I finished the book on Putin's Russia the other day but rather than start another one I'm just going to wait for Lords of the Bow to arrive. It should get here tomorrow or Monday.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 11th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Just left the 12th Century with William Marshal's first daughter being born, yep The Greatest Knight again. When men were men....sigh!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu September 11th, 2008, 8:04 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]The Greatest Knight again. When men were men....[/quote]

and sheep were ..... oh, nevermind! ;)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu September 11th, 2008, 9:10 pm

I'm at sea, about to put into port at the island of Rhodes in the third century B.C., having just encountered a bunch of Cretan pirates. That's Gillian Bradshaw, The Sun's Bride.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu September 11th, 2008, 9:40 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Forks, Washington.

About to get embroiled in vampire and werewolf politics I suspect.[/quote]

Oh dear....let me know what you think of that one. :D

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 12th, 2008, 9:52 am

It's very strange. It's incredibly readable (as most of her books are). I ended up reading 300 pages just last night, but I don't know that I am terribly thrilled with some of the events in the first half of the book at least.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 12th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Kathrine and Henry V just arrived at Paris, Mad Charles and Isabeau is here as well, Parisans are not thrilled about Henry V being the King now but there is no riosting as of yet.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 12th, 2008, 5:03 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]It's very strange. It's incredibly readable (as most of her books are). I ended up reading 300 pages just last night, but I don't know that I am terribly thrilled with some of the events in the first half of the book at least.[/quote]

300 pages! Gosh! I'm happy if I can get 50 pages or more read in a day in one book! I think 300 pages would make my head explode!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “General Discussion”