Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2009: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

September 2009: What are you reading?

Post by diamondlil » Tue September 1st, 2009, 11:05 am

Share your September reads in this thread.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue September 1st, 2009, 1:19 pm

A non-fiction, Love and Louis XIV by Antonia Fraser. My husband bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago because I always said my knowledge of French royals was lacking. Since I've been to Paris this summer and I read some HF about French royals, I thought it would be a good idea to read this. I've always liked Antonia Fraser's NF writing style. She makes it read like a narrative and not just a collection of facts.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue September 1st, 2009, 1:23 pm

[quote=""Susan""]A non-fiction, Love and Louis XIV by Antonia Fraser.[/quote]

Please let me know what you think about. Got this only a month ago or so but haven't even got close to reading it yet. Scared that her books might be "heavy" reading.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue September 1st, 2009, 1:46 pm

Currently reading Stacy Schiff's NF, A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France and the Birth of America. She does a great job of capturing the razor wit and headgames played at the French court at that time. I see she's also writing a book about Cleopatra from which a film will be made.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue September 1st, 2009, 4:45 pm

The Stolen One by Susannah Crowley.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue September 1st, 2009, 5:48 pm

[quote=""Veronica""]Please let me know what you think about. Got this only a month ago or so but haven't even got close to reading it yet. Scared that her books might be "heavy" reading.[/quote]

I have read a lot of non-fiction, particularly about royals, and Antonia Fraser is one of my favorite NF authors. I find her books very informative and not heavy at all. Since I just read some HF in which Louis XIV and the people who surrounded him were characters, I already know who they are as Fraser discusses them. I think that is helping me a lot because French royals are not my forte.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue September 1st, 2009, 6:12 pm

After finishing the Susanna Kearlsey book this am, I'm now reading Michelle's new book. I'm absolutely hooked.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue September 1st, 2009, 6:37 pm

[quote=""Veronica""]Please let me know what you think about. Got this only a month ago or so but haven't even got close to reading it yet. Scared that her books might be "heavy" reading.[/quote]

I read this last year ("Love and Louis XIV") and didn't find it heavy at all.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue September 1st, 2009, 9:22 pm

Antonia Fraser is NF, but very very readable. Not silly, very solid research, but very accessible. I say this with authority, because I read her Mary Queen of Scots bio when I was 11, and the Cromwell bio a few years later. :D

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue September 1st, 2009, 10:39 pm

Thank you guys, got two books by her so I might have to look in to reading them in a near future. I like to learn but if non fiction are too heavy I wont really stick to it.

Now reading a HF based on a true family saga "Red river" by Lalita Tademy. Her first book was "Cane river" which I quite liked. Recommended read actually.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Return to “Archives”