Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue August 25th, 2009, 10:52 pm

[quote=""princess garnet""]Adding to Diva's statement--
EC2, when books arrive here at the library, there are times there's a notation on the shipping list about the selling date which the book can't be displayed or circulated prior to that date. (Think the Harry Potter books)[/quote]

Yes, I thought that might be the case and that's why despite my looks of narrow suspicion, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they could've told me they couldn't put it out if that was the case. It's a private subscription library I belong to and the staff do have time to talk to their customers and form a rapport. Hmmm.... Nope. I have changed my mind. They definitely ARE reading it themselves first - LOL!
Not that I care, she says, drumming her fingers. :rolleyes:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Tue August 25th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Went to my local ex-library sale on the weekend (they have about 3 or 4 a year) and picked up 3 House of Niccolo books for $1 each. I have 5 now, but still not the first one in the series! Also picked up Paint the Wind by Cathy Cash Spellman which I think was recommended here, as I hadn’t heard of her before. I made a promise to myself that in future I would only buy a book when I finished one. Except I bought four instead of one and the mountain grows :rolleyes:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 25th, 2009, 11:37 pm

[quote=""Mello""]Went to my local ex-library sale on the weekend (they have about 3 or 4 a year) and picked up 3 House of Niccolo books for $1 each. I have 5 now, but still not the first one in the series! Also picked up Paint the Wind by Cathy Cash Spellman which I think was recommended here, as I hadn’t heard of her before. I made a promise to myself that in future I would only buy a book when I finished one. Except I bought four instead of one and the mountain grows :rolleyes: [/quote]

I loved Paint the Wind. Jolly good fun.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 26th, 2009, 1:04 am

I hope this is the real deal, Amazon has "The Royal Tombs of Great Britain: An Illustrated History" by Aidan Dodson listed for $45 again, but it still out of stock. I'm hoping I'll be able to get it this time and it's just not a fluke!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed August 26th, 2009, 1:06 am

EC2, yup they are definitely reading it! It's been out since last week, for heaven's sake...

I would def do a buddy read of In a Dark Wood Wandering. It's on my top HF of all time list. It isn't a fast read, but it's a gem of a novel. Prod me when you're ready to set it up. I think I first read it about 20 years ago when it was first published or re-released in a new English HC edition.

Not crazy about the Anne de Bohun books. The first was decent, but they deteriorate from their and left me laughing at the improbable plot twists. Definitely romance rather than HF as intended audience.

I got the Margaret Ball book on Kindle, plus a copy of "Ophelia joined the group Maidens who Don't Float", aka the Facebook version of the Classics. Absolutely hilarious.

My TBR pile is growing. Arrived today: the ARC of Audrey Niffenegger's new book, Her Fearful Symmetry, thanks to Amazon Vine. Coming soon is a book by an author new to me, a Scandinavian crime/thriller writer who I hope will be at least half as good as Stieg Larsson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 26th, 2009, 1:09 am

BF has "Eleanor of Aquitaine" and I had it on my queue but while going through all the books to decide if I still wanted to read them, I checked the ratings and they weren't that good, so I removed it. But if you ladies like it, maybe I'll add it back.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed August 26th, 2009, 3:06 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]
I would def do a buddy read of In a Dark Wood Wandering. It's on my top HF of all time list. It isn't a fast read, but it's a gem of a novel. Prod me when you're ready to set it up. I think I first read it about 20 years ago when it was first published or re-released in a new English HC edition.
[/quote]

Thats good to know! I'll let you know about when Im going to start reading it.

And do report back on the new Niffenegger book!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed August 26th, 2009, 11:25 am

Today I got Molokai by Alan Brenert in the post, and from the library:

Duchess by Night by Eloisa James
The Night They Stormed Eureka by Jackie French
Valiant by Holly Black
Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver
The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 26th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Wintercombe and Chains of Fate by Pamela Belle

The Virgin's Daughters courtesy of book give away on Amy's blog (thank you)

Via PBS, Siren Song Roberta Gellis, Arm and the Darkness Taylor Caldwell

Aprisoner of Versailles courtesy Amazon Vine. Although I think this is inspirational.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed August 26th, 2009, 8:29 pm

[quote=""nona""]Coming up to the end of August so I'm starting to look forward to fall, my favorite season, so I'm hunting down some scary books to start reading in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate them.[/quote]

The autumn is usually my favourite season too, but this year I feel depressed at the idea of the days drawing in, etc. Rainy and windy today - seems like that's it for the British summer this year.

Anyway, scary books. What about Barbara Erskine's Midnight Is A Lonely Place - I can't read that at night, it keeps me awake. About a writer who moves to a cottage by the sea in the middle of winter and it turns out to be haunted, big time.

Or Bram Stoker, Dracula.

Return to “Archives”