Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eleanor of Aquitaine

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 25th, 2009, 1:02 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]So has anyone read "Beloved Enemy" by Ellen Jones? I can't tell if it was that book that had a ewww scene with her uncle or a different one, if it's this one, then no thanks!

SM[/quote]

I did a couple of years ago and I believe that's the one with the scene with her uncle. I'd call the two books a bit on the fanciful side.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:44 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I did a couple of years ago and I believe that's the one with the scene with her uncle. I'd call the two books a bit on the fanciful side.[/quote]

Ok, thanks! EWWWW! I prefer to avoid anything that has incest in it if I can!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:47 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Ok, thanks! EWWWW! I prefer to avoid anything that has incest in it if I can!

SM[/quote]

Better stay away from the author thread on Alan Savage then. I will be getting back to his book on Eleanor soon and it puts this one in the dust tacky wise.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:49 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Better stay away from the author thread on Alan Savage then. I will be getting back to his book on Eleanor soon and it puts this one in the dust tacky wise.[/quote]

Thanks for the warning!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Yeah but you're missing the laughs. It's unintentionally funny and the only reason I bought it.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue August 25th, 2009, 8:25 pm

SM, Yes, I've read it, and yes, I think you're right about the 'ewww' scene with uncle. I just skipped right over it, however. Not a great book, but not a downright bad one. SKP still has the best fictional portrayal of Eleanor, IMO.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue August 25th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Has anyone else here read Margaret Ball's book on Eleanor? It came out to little fanfare but I really enjoyed it. She's a bit fey in it; it has some marvelous descriptive passages, too. It's called Duchess of Aquitaine. Eleanor, I believe, is not an easy character to write well. Like Anne Boleyn, she has tons of mythological baggage and readers have come to "see" her in a certain way. But Margaret Ball did something interesting and different with her that still stayed within the realm of historical possibility.

I thought it was sad to see how that book just faded away, especially as I heard that the publisher took almost eight years after the ms. was delivered to actually publish it :eek: . You can find copies at BookCloseouts.com
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 25th, 2009, 10:39 pm

I had had that one my to read list a while ago and not sure why I'd forgotten it and/or dropped it. Library has several copies (and all checked out so someone is reading it).

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed August 26th, 2009, 12:39 am

CW, just went to Amazon & it's Kindle-able -- so I now own it again! I think I got bogged down last time by some new-agey dance, but will give it another shot.

Shame that Norah Lofts did such a half-a**ed job of her book about Eleanor.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed August 26th, 2009, 2:24 am

I really enjoyed Duchess of Aquitaine (and think I remember our discussing it a while back, CW). It's set wholly in Aquitaine and France and focuses on her younger years, a place and period not often touched upon. Now that Eleanor is set to become the It Girl of historical fiction in the first half of 2010 (there are, I believe, at least four novels about her set to appear then, including a reissue of the Lofts!) perhaps this slightly older novel about her will get some long overdue attention.

The cover art was a painting done by a noted artist in the fantasy field, one whose work is recognizable to fans of that genre. I think it's gorgeous, but it may not have worked well for historical fiction fans. The novel has a mythical bent, but it's not fantasy.

Return to “Later Medieval”