Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 24th, 2009, 12:27 am

[quote=""Ash""]Picked up from my favorite used store: In a Dark Wood Wandering: a novel of the Middle Ages, by Hella S Haasse. Dutch writer who wrote in the 40s, and translated into English in the 80s. Mainly about France during the Hundred Year War - I don't know much French history so I suspect I may have to keep Google handy. Anyone read it?[/quote]

I've had this on my wish list for ages. The library has it and I can get it out when you're ready if you want to do a buddy read. Seems like Kasthu just read it and reviewed it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon August 24th, 2009, 2:14 am

Ordered the Anne de Bohun trilogy by Posie Graeme-Evans.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Mon August 24th, 2009, 2:55 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Ordered the Anne de Bohun trilogy by Posie Graeme-Evans.[/quote]

Oh I have these in my TBR pile! Suppose to be really good :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon August 24th, 2009, 9:32 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Picked up from my favorite used store: In a Dark Wood Wandering: a novel of the Middle Ages, by Hella S Haasse. Dutch writer who wrote in the 40s, and translated into English in the 80s. Mainly about France during the Hundred Year War - I don't know much French history so I suspect I may have to keep Google handy. Anyone read it?[/quote]

Yes, I've read it--it's a little slow going, but really good nonethless. My review is up on my blog somewhere...

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue August 25th, 2009, 1:43 am

I bought The Coveted Crown, an old novel by Freda Long about Margaret of Anjou, that arrived in the mail today. Henry VI has taken a vow of chastity and can't understand why this bothers his wife. Fairly entertaining. It has an inscription indicating that it was someone's Christmas present for 1966.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue August 25th, 2009, 2:14 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I've had this on my wish list for ages. The library has it and I can get it out when you're ready if you want to do a buddy read. Seems like Kasthu just read it and reviewed it.[/quote]

Sure, I'll let you know when I'm starting it.

drspoon
Scribbler

Post by drspoon » Tue August 25th, 2009, 6:18 pm

I ordered "Sherman's March" by Cynthia Bass from Amazon & "Confederates in the Attic" from paperbackswap. As usual for me, I will be "theme" reading.
Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore?" - Henry Ward Beecher

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue August 25th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Dropped in at the library to pick up The White Queen. Not there yet. Were I of a suspicious mind, I would say one of the library staff is reading it first, since I'm first in the queue, and the librarian gave me a lot of vague, evasive answers.
In the meantime, I picked up Passion by Jude Morgan, Company of Liars by Karen Maitland and The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie Macdonald. Dh picked up The Jupiter Myth by Lyndsey Davis and Red Square by Martin Cruz Smith.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 25th, 2009, 7:10 pm

As a librarian EC2, yes that does happen. And I often pull books first before my students can get to them because I want to read them! It's one of the perks of the job. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue August 25th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Adding to Diva's statement--
EC2, when books arrive here at the library, there are times there's a notation on the shipping list about the selling date which the book can't be displayed or circulated prior to that date. (Think the Harry Potter books)

Return to “Archives”