Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Speaking of commutes, my commute time is about to drop by a third as I got a new job today!

I resigned from my current job, so now just have to get ready to change over![/quote]

I am so behind on some threads. Congratulations and I hope your new job's great!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon August 24th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Congrats on the new job, Diamondlil!!!!!!!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon August 24th, 2009, 11:43 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Gluten free crusts on a pizza? I want one of them. Lucky you, LoveHistory! Fortunately, I can make my own spelt bread courtesy of our wonderful bread machine, but pizzas are not a great idea too often.

Today I came within a whisker of finishing the first draft of my third novel, The Road to Rome, and should do so tomorrow. So does that mean I should have posted then? :) [/quote]

It gets even better. They are the same price as the regular. Though they only come in small, but still that's better than trying to make my own. :D

I read somewhere that spelt is low gluten rather than gluten free.

Congrats on The Road to Rome. I will need to look up your books. Are the first two related to number three or are they separate stories?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 25th, 2009, 1:53 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]
And what a gorgeous purchase, SonjaMarie. How old is it?[/quote]

Thanks all! It's fairly recent, since that painting was only discovered a few years ago. A woman in Russia does the miniatures based on images found on line.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue August 25th, 2009, 2:41 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]It gets even better. They are the same price as the regular. Though they only come in small, but still that's better than trying to make my own. :D

I read somewhere that spelt is low gluten rather than gluten free.

Congrats on The Road to Rome. I will need to look up your books. Are the first two related to number three or are they separate stories?[/quote]

Indeed it is - sorry, I forgot to say that I can have some gluten, just not lots. Spelt (a Roman wheat!) is much lower in gluten than the durum wheat which is now ubiquitous. Interestingly, the gluten content of durum has been artificially raised in the last 40 years, as with this change it can resist damp much better and is less appealing to rodents. Shame for the millions of people (and dogs - I speak as a veterinarian here) who have an intolerance to it. Another stunning example of how industry has messed up.

Thanks re TRTR. It's the third in a trilogy...
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 25th, 2009, 7:11 pm

I was finally able to add "Virgin Queen's Daughters" as my ship next book at BF, except all of my 6 books out have already been shipped and I can't get it until I send two back, so it'll be sometime in Sept before I can read it. Watch, it won't be that good ;)

SM
My Booksfree Queue

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed August 26th, 2009, 8:53 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]Congratulations, ParthianBow!

And what a gorgeous purchase, SonjaMarie. How old is it?[/quote]

Thanks, Michelle. Finally did it yesterday. 150k words - erkk. Now for some editing!

SonjaMarie, I feel churlish not saying congratulations to you on your brooch - even though as a man, I feel odd doing so! :confused:
And Diamond Lil - any commute that can be cut has to be good.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 26th, 2009, 4:51 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]
SonjaMarie, I feel churlish not saying congratulations to you on your brooch - even though as a man, I feel odd doing so! :confused: [/quote]

A man can enjoy a beautiful piece of artwork at not feel odd. :)

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 27th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Not sure if this should go under the TV thread, but brilliant to hear that the Big Brother series is finally being cancelled in the UK, although they still have to make one more series next year to fulfil contractual obligations.

Hopefully this will mean that the reality TV craze is finally going away, and we can have some decent entertainment and drama programmes back, unlikely I know, given that reality TV is much cheaper to make, but at least there might not be so much of it.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu August 27th, 2009, 4:41 pm

I found out that 2 hours from my home they are having a mourning exhibit. It has over 600 pieces :eek: I'm so excited with myself I dont know what to do. I may go tomorrow.
The Tioga County Historical Society is holding a remarkable exhibition of memorial jewels that no collector or aficionado should miss out on. Running from August 15th – October 31st in Owego New York. The exhibition boasts over 600 pieces of memorial artifacts. The press release is below:

“Many of the pieces on display can be found in the book “Mourning Art & Jewelry” and in the book “Georgian Jewelery 1714-1830”. A very rare ring for Napoleon, possibly one of a kind, will be on display. In addition, a Charles the first miniature and two commemorative rings will be displayed. Other highlights include the following items of the popular Princess Charlotte; a ring, medals, cups and saucers and a teapot. Over a dozen original lithographs depicting death bed scenes of George Washington, Andrew Jackson and the New York funeral of O’ Connell are a part of the exhibit. Currier and Ives and other lithographers contributed to making it possible for the common person to have a colored memorial for their family depicting a commemorative stone which could be personalized. Examples will be on display. A locally made Cruciform Casket patented design 1884 will be displayed along with stereo cards of the historic Evergreen Cemetery now on the national register.”
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”