Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

consterdine
Scribbler

Post by consterdine » Mon August 24th, 2009, 8:53 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]At the risk of going off -topic, the best role models to provide this are you and her mother and in particular in the way that you treat your daughter as she grows up as well as how you treat the other women in your life. If she sees that the man she admires and loves the most treats her and women in general with respect and the belief that they are in charge of their own lives, she will grow up believing it and will accept nothing less from anyone, including potential boyfriends or husbands.[/quote]

I coulbn't agree more. Someone once said that "the greatest gift a father can give to his children is to love their mother"

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 24th, 2009, 9:45 am

[quote=""consterdine""]
AThat this medieval man is so in touch with his feminine side may be a contemporary twist but it enables an inspiring, intriguing and almost irresistable character to emerge.

Overall the writing transports the reader and weaves a wondrous world that you can immerse yourself in. Thank you Elizabeth for a beautifully told story.[/quote]

Thank you Consterdine, :)
When I began writing The Greatest Knight, I was only touching the tip of the iceberg re William Marshal and as I've written more about him and his family, I've grown to know him better. I do think he was more in touch with his feminine side - LOL - than some of his contemporaries in that his wife had a say in his counsels; she wasn't excluded from 'man' business. He was a close friend of Eleanor of Aquitaine throughout her life and I think in no small part she advanced his career - and if Eleanor liked him, then it's a good indicator. There are all sorts of little scraps and hints along his life path that on their own wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, but when you put them together, they build into a body of evidence for him being respectful, fair-minded and generous towards women of his own rank certainly. He was still very much a man of his time though. Nothing stood in the way of him marrying off his daughters to suit his political purposes, and even if Isabelle had her say, his word was the final call. She might not have wanted to give up their sons to King John, but William's will prevailed.
Now look, you've gone and got me started on William Marshal! The rational part is now dragging the fangirl away and back to what she should to be doing!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 27th, 2009, 2:29 pm

I noticed a couple of blog posts today that might be of interest,

At A Reader's Respite EC is guest poster and there's a giveaway for two copies of The Greatest Knight.

And at Historical Tapestry there's an interview with EC.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun August 30th, 2009, 3:11 am

There are a number of giveaways happening at the moment around blogland. We are trying to spotlight them at HT, but I might miss some. In the next couple of days we will have the blog tour list up and there may be giveaways at most of those blogs.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

consterdine
Scribbler

Post by consterdine » Wed September 9th, 2009, 12:50 am

Thanks EC. I've just finished The Scarlet Lion and I'm reeling. Totally fantastic read. Exhilarating.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 1st, 2010, 11:56 pm

Margaret has just posted a review of "Scarlet Lion", and an interview with EC at her Historical Novels Info website

http://www.historicalnovels.info/histor ... -blog.html

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 30th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Michele at A Reader's Respite is giving away both of these books on her blog. Details here, http://readersrespite.blogspot.com/2010 ... books.html

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 10:43 am

Well it was nice to see the Marshal getting a name-check in the mini-quiz in our paper today, the question is "who was England's "the greatest knight" who served as regent during Henry III's early reign"?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm

As I understand it, Sourcebooks is having a book promotion this weekend, and among the Kindle freebies is The Greatest Knight.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat February 5th, 2011, 5:44 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]As I understand it, Sourcebooks is having a book promotion this weekend, and among the Kindle freebies is The Greatest Knight.[/quote]

Yep, and on Nook:
http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Knight-e ... 773&sr=8-2
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Greate ... est+knight

I've already grabbed it, though I don't know when I'll get around to reading it. I've heard very good things about it.

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”