Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 19th, 2009, 3:25 am

[quote=""Divia""]Oh! Good to know. Adding that to my favs. Thanks[/quote]

Yeah, it's very useful. Glad to help!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 19th, 2009, 4:30 am

Ordered:
"Necropolis: London and Its Dead" - Catharine Arnold
"Life in These United States" - Editors of Readers Digest (I've been reading a lot of serious books and I wanted something funny to read).

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed August 19th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Divia, my nickname on Paperback swap (which is searchable, I think) is the same as it is here. Couple more books snapped up today -- HF on there m oves fast!

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed August 19th, 2009, 9:11 pm

I went a little crazy on bookdepository.com last night and bought $80 worth of books, which worked out to eight titles. It was hard to resist, with many HF preorders at 54% off list. Included in there were Lindsey Davis's Rebels and Traitors (out in a couple weeks, at $10ish), Emma Campion's The King's Mistress (the most expensive at $17), Jenny Diski's Apology for the Woman Writing... the last two were in stock.

This is the first time I've preordered anything where they made me pay for all of it up front, so I'm not sure what happens if anything gets cancelled.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 20th, 2009, 12:30 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]I went a little crazy on bookdepository.com last night and bought $80 worth of books, which worked out to eight titles. It was hard to resist, with many HF preorders at 54% off list. Included in there were Lindsey Davis's Rebels and Traitors (out in a couple weeks, at $10ish), Emma Campion's The King's Mistress (the most expensive at $17), Jenny Diski's Apology for the Woman Writing... the last two were in stock.

This is the first time I've preordered anything where they made me pay for all of it up front, so I'm not sure what happens if anything gets cancelled.[/quote]

The one order I had from Book Depository that got cancelled, they automatically credited the amount back to my credit card.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu August 20th, 2009, 12:35 am

That's good to hear. Unfortunately I bought them via PayPal, because I had a balance that had been sitting there for a while ... and you can only send refunds through them within 60 days after purchase. I guess I'll see how they handle a refund when/if it happens. If they want to issue me a credit, that'd work.

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Well I couldn't resist - went out to Book Depository and ordered the last two books to complete my Elizabeth Chadwick collection, Daughters of the Grail and The Falcons of Montabard. Now I own them all and just have to try not to read them all at once so I can stretch out the pleasure over time!

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 9:53 pm

Due to the economy ........ I usually get my books from the library. I had some $ leftover on a GC, so yesterday at Borders I bought 'Eleanor of Aquitane' and 'Twilight of a Queen'.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 12:36 pm

Coming up to the end of August so I'm starting to look forward to fall, my favorite season, so I'm hunting down some scary books to start reading in the next couple of weeks. Came across Wither, forgot the author already, it's about a small village that had several women and men killed in their own witch trials (only in a more morbid way) and these kids from the local private college are having dreams of it occuring then it starts to happen all over again only their the victims. It looks really good.

If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate them.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon August 24th, 2009, 12:11 am

Picked up from my favorite used store: In a Dark Wood Wandering: a novel of the Middle Ages, by Hella S Haasse. Dutch writer who wrote in the 40s, and translated into English in the 80s. Mainly about France during the Hundred Year War - I don't know much French history so I suspect I may have to keep Google handy. Anyone read it?

Return to “Archives”