Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who would you nominate for an HF author to write about?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat August 15th, 2009, 12:07 pm

more about Eva Peron- my novel will be out by Christmas though. :D

Philippa of Hainault

Cleopata I, II, and III

Arsinoe II

Deborah

Jezebel

Athaliah

Michelle Moran, help! ;)

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat August 15th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Please no more royalty! :eek:

How about people that actually Did Useful Stuff, like scientists. There was a novel recently about Nicola Tesla called The Invention of Everything Else, but I haven't noticed much else...

Isaac Newton had an interesting life (he was an astrologer and he worked for the Royal Mint as well as revolutionising physics), and of course there's Galileo and his dramatic conflicts with the Church. And, going further back, there's Roger Bacon, known as Doctor Mirabilis and arguably he first experimental scientist in Europe.

And I'd like to see some more medieval mystics :D Hildegard has been done of course, but there's plenty of others like Margery Kempe or Christina of Markyate.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat August 15th, 2009, 1:24 pm

In honor of Pensacola's 450th anniversary of European settlement, I'd like to see a Spanish explorer-centric novel featuring the life and times of Don Tristan de Luna y Arrelano (1519-1571). He ran with Coronado! Got to be the stuff of adventure there.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat August 15th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Along the same line, I'd love to read a fictional treatment of Hernando de Soto's journey.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat August 15th, 2009, 10:08 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]In honor of Pensacola's 450th anniversary of European settlement, I'd like to see a Spanish explorer-centric novel featuring the life and times of Don Tristan de Luna y Arrelano (1519-1571). He ran with Coronado! Got to be the stuff of adventure there.[/quote]

There seems to be a novel about him:

Appleyard, John. De Luna. [Pensacola], the author, 1977. 278p., signed by Appleyard, dj. Novel based on Don Tristan de Luna and the de Luna colony of 1559, first Spanish settlement in Florida.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat August 15th, 2009, 10:16 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Along the same line, I'd love to read a fictional treatment of Hernando de Soto's journey.[/quote]

I cant find if this novel has been translated:

Las Huellas del Conquistador by Jose Luis Perez Regueira

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Sun August 16th, 2009, 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=Leo62;36955]Please no more royalty! :eek:

How about people that actually Did Useful Stuff, like scientists. There was a novel recently about Nicola Tesla called The Invention of Everything Else, but I haven't noticed much else...

Isaac Newton had an interesting life (he was an astrologer and he worked for the Royal Mint as well as revolutionising physics), and of course there's Galileo and his dramatic conflicts with the Church. And, going further back, there's Roger Bacon, known as Doctor Mirabilis and arguably he first experimental scientist in Europe.

And I'd like to see some more medieval mystics :D Hildegard has been done of course, but there's plenty of others like Margery Kempe or Christina of Markyate.[/QUOTE

Leo, best NF book I've read on Newton is ISAAC NEWTON: THE LAST SORCERER

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:06 pm

I wrote an article about Jeanne for Black Night, the fanzine of the Blackmore's Night Renaissance rock band. Back copies are not readily available, but I will make a note to post the article in the "Articles" section of my website.
I have finally posted this article, with a list at the end of nonfiction and novels about Joan of Arc. See http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Joan-of-Arc.html.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Sun August 30th, 2009, 6:08 pm

[quote=""annis""]There are a couple of novels about Ulysses S. Grant
Max Byrd's "Grant", and 'That Fateful Lightning" by Richard Parry. Grant also features in Jeff Shaara's "Killer Angels"[/quote]
Annis,

The Killer Angels was written by Jeff's father Michael Shaara & won the 1974 Pulitzer for Best Fiction.

Since his father's death, Jeff Shaara has written both sequels & prequels to The Killer Angels:

Gone for Soldiers (Mexican War - all the Civil War Famous generals are pretty young & raw)

Gods and Generals (made into a movie like KAs)

Last Full Measure, which uses Grant as one of the "voices"

Additionally, Jeff has written a 2-book series on the American Revolution, 1 book on WWI & will be publishing the 3rd book of his WWII trilogy this November.

Although generally disinterested in "war" fiction, I have found every one of Jeff's books absulutely un-put-downable!!!

http://www.jeffshaara.com/
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Return to “General Discussion”