Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat August 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm

State of Play

Not bad, but not a patch on the series.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat August 15th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Sat down and watched The Other Boleyn Girl, this time the BBC 2003 version with Natascha McElhrone and Jodhi May as the sisters.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun August 16th, 2009, 2:36 am

Went with some friends to see Julia and Julie again; loved it even more the second time. Still think the 'fight' between Julie and her husband didn't fit; felt like someone told the director to add some conflict. But the acting was so well done, I just can't fault the movie. I am now interested in reading more about Child. Should I read her memoir, or a biography?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun August 16th, 2009, 5:15 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Went with some friends to see Julia and Julie again; loved it even more the second time. Still think the 'fight' between Julie and her husband didn't fit; felt like someone told the director to add some conflict. But the acting was so well done, I just can't fault the movie. I am now interested in reading more about Child. Should I read her memoir, or a biography?[/quote]

I've started her autobiography, My Life in France, and it's a hoot. Still haven't seen the film J&J, but want to soon.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun August 16th, 2009, 7:14 pm

"Reilly...The Ace of Spies"....1983 series with the young Sam Neil as Reilly....so outstanding....I'm so disappointed in the recent dregs that have appeared on the big screen....I will keep watching the BB C's classics TV/film series....And I love a good film....I'm member of Netflix and I have my ear close to ground looking for the good films that come out....which are far and few between....Excuse my rant.....

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 17th, 2009, 11:23 am

The Princess Bride.
Why oh why have I never seen this wonderful hilarious movie before when it's been around for so long? I am definitely going to have to own a copy!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon August 17th, 2009, 1:51 pm

OMG - how have you missed this film!? It is one of my favorites all time movies. Just saw it a few months ago, and loved it all the more. I suspect you'll see it again and again and like the rest of us be able to recite lines at the drop of a hat. Have fun!
Last edited by Ash on Mon August 17th, 2009, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon August 17th, 2009, 1:52 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]I've started her autobiography, My Life in France, and it's a hoot. Still haven't seen the film J&J, but want to soon.[/quote]

I plan on reading that, as well as Appetite for Life, which my sis recommended.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon August 17th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I saw The Time Traveler's Wife over the weekend and enjoyed it. I started the book in mid-2006 but didn't get very far with it. Since it's still on my TBR shelf, I'll probably give it another go in the future.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon August 17th, 2009, 4:28 pm

To all " Wizard of Oz" fans....Turner Classic Movies is sponsoring a 70th anniversary showing of the TWOO at 400 movie theaters around the United States....It's a shown in High Definition.....Scheduled date is September 23rd 2009 at 7:00pm.....I have seen it many times...but never on the big screen....Taking my wife for her birthday...should be fun.....Google Turner Classic Movies and look up TWOO.....check it out.....

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”